a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, oem7110
Referring to following video, I would like to look for any 2 countries with similar climate as shown below

1) any country along Tropic of Cancer (Jan - similar climate)
2) any country along Tropic of capricorn (July - similar climate)

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Read 322 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, derro
Climates depends on several factors. If two countries are side-by-side with similar geographical configurations, they're likely to experience similar climates. Factors that impact geographical climates include, as mention in the video, proximity to equator, also what should be suggested is closeness to lakes, seas, mountains, trees, etc.

Also consider that two countries located at the same latitude won't necessarily experience the same climate.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Comparing any city along tropic of Cancer and Capricorn, since the location of latitude are same, I would like to know on any climate different for this similar location.

Do you have any suggestions on any cities?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
5 years ago
It depends on the climate zone more so than latitude.

Just take a look at these countries in similar colors.
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
That's too much of a generalization, don't you think? Because it isn't taking into account pressure zones, oceanic circulation, etc. Climate zones are defined by two parameters; temperature and moisture which are combined to create hygrothermal maps.

[Pressure zones]
https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=31186
https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=31188

oemBiology Author
wrote...
Referring to following video, I would like to know on whether southern Hemisphere get more UV than northern Hemisphere or not during Summer.  Since Tropic of capricorn is closer to the Sun during Summer.

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)

Post Merge: 5 years ago

During Dec and Jan, Earth is closest to Sun, and move faster, I would like to know on how faster moving speed effect Earth's climate during Dec and Jan, as comparing with slower moving speed during Jun and Jul period.

wrote...
5 years ago
Referring to following video, I would like to know on whether southern Hemisphere get more UV than northern Hemisphere or not during Summer.  Since Tropic of capricorn is closer to the Sun during Summer.

If the earth is closest during the winter solstice, I'd then assume more sun hits the Tropic of Capricorn during this time. However, my teacher always taught me that the elliptical pathway of the earth isn't responsible for the seasoning.

https://www.space.com/3304-earth-closest-sun-dead-winter.html
oemBiology Author
wrote...
5 years ago
That is not about season, I focus on UV that southern Hemisphere (Summer on Dec) get more UV than northern Hemisphere (Summer on Jun), because Tropic of capricorn - southern hemisphere is closer to the Sun during Summer on Dec.

Would above statement correct?

Do you have any suggestions?
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
More sunlight = more UV, I agree. Perfect
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Land areas are distributed predominantly in the Northern Hemisphere (68%) relative to the Southern Hemisphere (32%) as divided by the equator.

Ref : http://phl.upr.edu/library/notes/distributionoflandmassesofthepaleo-earth

I would like to know on how water and land absorb UV differently, which affect Earth's temperature.

Do you have any suggestions?

In term of UV absorption (from Space to Earth) and emission (from Earth to Space)

Is there any data source for Earth's energy budget?

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_energy_budget
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago Edited: 5 years ago, bio_man
I want to answer your initial question first. Water has a high heat capacity, so it can store a lot of heat before it's temperature changes; this is why it plays a major role in regional climates. On the other hand, land is much warmer than the water when heated for the same amount of time. It's made up of many different materials which absorb the Sun's rays differently. Land covered in forests or snow warms and cools very differently from a city blanketed with asphalt streets and concrete buildings. Darker materials absorb more radiation than lighter materials. Texture also matters. Rougher and dryer materials absorb more radiation than smoother and wetter materials.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1390 People Browsing
 102 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?