t
i
r
r
lizgarner lizgarner
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
5 years ago
Is the baking soda used for cleaning the same one that is used for cooking?
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 359 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Sodium carbonate is used for a wide variety of things, which includes baking AND cleaning.
wrote...
5 years ago
Sort of. Both are sodium bicarbonate, but the product used for cooking is food grade while the one used for cleaning may not be. That is, you can use the cooking product to clean, but I would recommend against using the cleaning product to cook.

However, don’t confuse baking soda with washing soda. The latter is sodium carbonate, a very different chemical compound, and a far stronger alkali than baking soda. Ingesting washing soda can be harmful

It depends on what you’re trying to clean. If you’re talking about cleaning grease or residue off pots, pans and counter tops, then yes they are the same. It’s known as sodium bicarbonate.

If you’re trying to clean dirty clothes in the laundry it’s better to use washing soda, also known as sodium carbonate.

Most grocery stores will have smaller boxes of sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate.
If you're not having fun, you're not learning Slight Smile
wrote...
Staff Member
5 years ago
Yes. As long as it's 100% sodium bicarbonate, with no perfumes or dyes, you can use it to clean, cook, or even brush your teeth with it.
wrote...
5 years ago
Since an open box of Baking Soda naturally absorbs unwanted smells and odours, always use a fresh, unopened box to make the best tasting cookies and cakes.
lizgarner Author
wrote...
5 years ago
Thank you guys for your suggestions. But I am just wondering What happens if you bake a cake without baking soda?

can you make a cake without baking soda
wrote...
5 years ago
Baking soda brings the recipe's acidity level back to neutral. So it acts like a buffer of some sort, or at least that's what I've been taught
wrote...
5 years ago
wait, what's the difference between baking powder and baking soda?
wrote...
Valued Member
5 years ago
The difference between baking soda and baking powder is acid.

Baking soda has only one ingredient: sodium bicarbonate.

Baking powder is a mixture of baking soda and a dry acid, such as cream of tartar, and perhaps some cornstarch to help keep the two separate and dry.

The easiest way to explain it is that baking soda is a base—it’s alkaline. Remember those experiments we did as kids, adding vinegar to baking soda to watch the eruption of bubbles?

When you mix a base (baking soda) with an acid (vinegar) you get a reaction (bubbles).
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Baking soda brings the recipe's acidity level back to neutral. So it acts like a buffer of some sort, or at least that's what I've been taught

That's consistent with this poster

@cloveb thank you!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1400 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images