t
i
r
r
cwatts1946 cwatts1946
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I have a disease that makes it important to control salt in the body.  I love to fish
waist deep in the ocean for 6 hours a day at times.  Considering osmosis and
hypotonic   and hypertonic relationships will the salt in the ocean at 35,000 ppm
go into the body at 9000 ppm.  Which way will it go. What about the pressure of
being in the water , what does this do to the osmosis.  Does molecule size  have a bearing.
I have talked to Bio Chemist,Dermatologist, and looked on the web.  All say something
different.  I need to be exact on this for my safety of salt in the blood.
Read 2024 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Welcome to the forum.

It all depends on your illness and where your body has trouble regulating the salt.

To start, you have a dead layer of skin cells layering your entire body. This layer is thicker in some places (like your palms, soles of your feet) and thinner in others. This layer of dead skin cells is heavily keratinized. Keratin is a fiborous, insoluble protein that is not only found in your dead skin layer, but is the major component in your hair, nails and horns (if you have them Face with Stuck-out Tongue). The keratinized skin layer helps drastically reduce water intake and excretment and is one of the major evolutionary advances of vertabrates.

In freshwater, like in the water you bath in, the keratin-filled dead cell layer will imbibe water via capillary action. When this occurs, the cells will swell and take up a greater volume and surface area. It is the swelling that causes the wrinkling. However, in salt water, simple diffusion would occur and your skin will get tight due to the water in your dead cells diffusing into the salty water (via simple diffusion, not osmosis).

So is it safe for you to fish in salt water lakes, that all depends on illness on you. Do a little simulation, fill a lunch contained with salt water, dip you hand in their for 5 minute increments and describe how you feel. If you're able to endure this, you'll be fine. Moreover, don't fishermen use those Long-John rubber body suits?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1309 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion