a
t
i
r
r
ryann ryann
wrote...
3 years ago
Do appliances use electricity when plugged in even if they're turned off? e.g TV, phone charger etc.

I always leave my phone charger plugged in when not in use so with his phone unattached. How much is that costing me? Is it pushing up my energy bills?

Does unplugging appliances from the wall plug actually save much energy?
Read 510 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Do appliances use electricity when plugged in even if they're turned off? e.g TV, phone charger etc.

Yes, they do. TVs always need to have power to their receiver in case someone activates the TV via a remote.

Phone chargers, like the basic ones you plug into the wall, unless they have an LCD light, they're not transferring any electricity.
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
Any charger that is plugged in at the wall, and not switched off at the socket, will still use some electricity, even if it’s not plugged into the device it is meant to charge. This is because every charger contains a transformer.

This transformer is still connected to the mains even if the phone isn’t, and so the transformer carries on drawing a small amount of power. One phone charger on its own will only draw a tiny amount of power.

The downside of leaving any product constantly plugged in is that as it warms up, heat is dissipated and that can lead to the deterioration of the electronic components over time
ryann Author
wrote...
3 years ago
But bio-man don't you think its better to have switch off/on for the tv to save more energy or that might damage the tv in the future.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
You mean unplug it? If so, that's inconvenient, and I'm certain the engineers designed the TV with electricity savings in-mind. So the television likely isn't using a considerable about when it's turned off
ryann Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Frowning Face youre right
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1323 People Browsing
 109 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?