K
f
j
b
c
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, oemBiology
Referring to below statement, I would like to know on how magnetic fields can dramatically reduce the thickness, or viscosity, of blood flowing.

"Two physicists searching for a novel way to prevent heart attacks and strokes have discovered that strong magnetic fields can dramatically reduce the thickness, or viscosity, of blood flowing through a tube. The pair speculate that if this effect holds for blood in veins and arteries, scientists might someday develop a magnetic alternative to medicines designed to keep blood flowing in humans."

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011/06/magnets-keep-blood-flowing
Post Merge: 3 years ago

Referring to following statement, I would like to know on what magnetic field is referring to to decrease the viscosity of oil.  "N" or "S" based on magnet?

"If a person's blood becomes too thick it can damage blood vessels and increase the risk of heart attacks. But a Temple University physicist has discovered that he can thin the human blood by subjecting it to a magnetic field.

Rongjia Tao, professor and chair of physics at Temple University, has pioneered the use of electric or magnetic fields to decrease the viscosity of oil in engines and pipelines. Now, he is using the same magnetic fields to thin human blood in the circulation system.

Because red blood cells contain iron, Tao has been able to reduce a person's blood viscosity by 20-30 percent by subjecting it to a magnetic field of 1.3 Telsa (about the same as an MRI) for about one minute."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110607121523.htm
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I couldn't find any documentation on MRIs slowing down blood flow. That's not a good sign for this hypothesis, because MRIs are based-off of very powerful magnets, and if this effect hasn't been studied, then it's probably not something that's a concern for scientists.

In the study discussed in the link you provided, the researchers took donated blood and then measured its viscosity in a small tube used for that purpose. They then applied a 1.3 Tesla magnetic field to the tube (this is about the strength of the magnetic field used in a typical MRI scanner), with the field aligned with the direction of blood flow, for one minute and found that the viscosity decreased by 20-30%. This effect lasted for about 2 hours. The problem here is that the blood they used was not flowing as in what you'd find in the circulatory system. The research doesn't look into the effect of magnets on flowing blood being pumped continuously, therefore there's a lot that's unanswered.

The researchers claim that the effect comes from the red blood cells clumping together, mostly in a line, like box cars on a train. The cells moving together as a train produces less resistance than if they were all bouncing around separately. Further, they tend to flow more down the middle of the tube, reducing friction with the tube wall.

Another issue is that the glass tube used in the study was larger than the smallest arteries in people. Further, capillaries are only large enough to allow red cells to flow through single file. I would not want my red cells clumping as in the picture above and then trying to squeeze through capillaries. I would not be surprised if the effect on viscosity were reversed for smaller arteries, or even caused serious problems with capillary flow. But I suspect the net effect on blood flow in vivo is negligible, because we have been exposing people to magnetic fields of this strength in MRI scans for a couple decades now without any ill effects.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Referring to following statement, I would like to know on what difference magnetic fields are between MRI and Geomagnetic storm, is MRI's magnetic field stable and not oscillate?

"Geomagnetic storm make magnetic field moving back and forth or oscillate and this creates electromagnetic currents in the upper atmosphere."

Based on following image, it seems that MRI's magnetic field is stable and not oscillate, so do you find any related documentation on MRIs improving on blood flow?

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)

http://www.sprawls.org/mripmt/MRI02/index.html

At 1:23, magnet repels blood and at 2:33, magnet repels water as well.

I would like to know on why magnet repels water and blood as well

https://youtu.be/E-yHv91Y_oI

Water is diamagnetic, that is very weakly repels a magnet

I would like to know on how do diamagnetism of water work.

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Based on following image, it seems that MRI's magnetic field is stable and not oscillate, so do you find any related documentation on MRIs improving on blood flow?

Nothing exists on this.

Water is diamagnetic, that is very weakly repels a magnet

I would like to know on how do diamagnetism of water work.

A water molecule is polar, meaning that the oxygen atom pulls the electrons closer towards it than the hydrogen atoms do collectively. This creates an area within the molecule where it's more negative than the other area, whose less negative. Example of molecules with dipoles shown below...

The structure of the water molecule is a distorted tetrahedron. The hydrogen ions form a 104.5-degree angle with the oxygen molecule. The result is that, while the molecule is electrically neutral, it has poles, just as magnets do. The negative side of of one molecule is attracted to the positive side of those around it. This attraction is known as hydrogen bonding, and while it isn't strong enough to break the covalent bonds keeping the molecules together, it is strong enough to produce anomalous behavior that distinguishes water from other liquids.

Hope that helps, oemBiology
oemBiology Author
wrote...
At 1:23, magnet repels blood and at 2:33, magnet repels water as well.

I would like to know on how magnet interacts with hydrogen bonding and repels water and blood as well.

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Magnet doesn't interact with hydrogen, the magnet has a positive and negative pole. The hydrogen atoms are positive because their electrons don't spin around them as much as they do with oxygen. The two positive regions end up repealing each other, the same way two positive-ended magnets would
oemBiology Author
wrote...
The hydrogen atoms are positive because their electrons don't spin around them as much as they do with oxygen. The two positive regions end up repealing each other, the same way two positive-ended magnets would

I would like to know more on following issues :

1) what control the speed of spinning within atoms?
    electrons spin slowly around hydrogen atoms
    (hydrogen atom with a single electron spinning around a single proton, the   
     electron moves at about 1/137 of the speed of light)
     Ref : https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae113.cfm

electrons do spin faster around oxygen atoms
    (?)   

2) How do spinning speed effect the charges on atoms?

The hydrogen ions form a 104.5-degree angle with the oxygen molecule.

Referring to your statement, does 104.5 degree refers to vibration issues as shown on below statement? It seems that angle of vibrations determine the different position (diamagnetic  and paramagnetic )

"When the vibrations exceed 130° on either side of the position of rest, or if the vibrations pass into rotations, then the magnet will appear to be dia-magnetic because the average time during which the positive and negative poles are in the diamagnetic position is longer than the average time during which they are in the paramagnetic position."

REF : https://www.nature.com/articles/105516c0

wrote...
3 years ago

Thank u. Good video
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
1) what control the speed of spinning within atoms?     electrons spin slowly around hydrogen atoms     (hydrogen atom with a single electron spinning around a single proton, the         electron moves at about 1/137 of the speed of light)      Ref : https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae113.cfm     electrons do spin faster around oxygen atoms     (?)

The spin speed of individual electrons is negligible in this discussion. Please review this animation to help you understand how dipoles work -- remember, water is a dipole molecule due to the composition of the atoms. Oxygen is more electronegative than hydrogen, that's why it pulls the electrons closer to the oxygen core than the hydrogen.

2) How do spinning speed effect the charges on atoms?

Not important in this discussion...

Referring to your statement, does 104.5 degree refers to vibration issues as shown on below statement? It seems that angle of vibrations determine the different position (diamagnetic  and paramagnetic )

That's what I mean by 104.5°
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Thanks, to everyone very much for suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Is everything completely clear on the topic?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
so far so good, I open another topic for further discussion.
Thanks, to everyone very much for suggestions (^v^)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  906 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 336