d
a
g
j
Starman Starman
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
4 years ago
To prevent backflow of blood, the Right Side of the heart has Tricuspid valves while the Left Side of the heart has Bicuspid valves.

The function of the valves is basically to prevent backflow of blood. So why does the Right Side and Left side of the heart have different types of valves - Tricuspid and Bicuspid?

"Tricuspid means 3 valves, Bicuspid means 2 valves"

I just made an answer in my head, please give your take on that as well

My answer:-
The Right side of the heart pumps blood to the lungs, which is closeby to the heart and hence do not require much pressure. So due to the lower pressure there is a high chance of blood flowing back because the lack of push. Hence more flaps are required to prevent the backflow of the blood. And hence Tricuspid valves are present to support that.

Similarly, the Left Side of the heart pumps blood to the entire body, meaning it requires a very much higher pressure in order to be able to carry blood to all organs and tissues throughout the body. And hence due to the high pressure exerted, the blood is less likely to flow back due to the increased push. And hence Bicuspid valves are present to support that.

Read 41 times
1 Reply