a
t
i
r
r
Anonymous Anonymous
wrote...
3 years ago
I have raynauds, very mild case, have had it for a while. It seems to affect both sides near equally normally. However the about a week ago I was outside for a while and my feet got quite cold. After coming back in they warmed up, however later on the right one started to hurt. I have no idea why it was just the right one?

Over the last 2 days I have started taking some medication that makes the raynauds worse (I don't mind that much as I only have to take it for a few weeks), however now whenever I go in the shower I also get pain in my foot, and again only the right one.

Is it normal that sometimes the pain will only be on one side, or should I be concerned about this in some way?

I have had raynauds for ages btw, it isn't recent, only this is recent.
Read 517 times
14 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
The pain in your foot probably originated from some other source unrelated to your condition. Is the pain unbearable to a point that you cannot function, or is it something that comes on and off? Do you need to be standing on your foot to feel the pain? Can you replicate the pain when applying mechanical pressure to the affected area? Let us know...
Anonymous Author
wrote...
3 years ago
The pain in your foot probably originated from some other source unrelated to your condition. Is the pain unbearable to a point that you cannot function, or is it something that comes on and off? Do you need to be standing on your foot to feel the pain? Can you replicate the pain when applying mechanical pressure to the affected area?
Let us know...

It's not that bad when it happens, I'm more concerned about what it could indicate than the pain itself. I don't have any underlying conditions that could cause this that I am aware of. I didn't need to be standing up.

I'm not sure what you mean about replicating the pain. I mean if I press my foot really hard it hurts but that's fairly normal I assume?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
So the pain hasn't subsided even when you sit and apply no pressure. Hmm... That's odd.

There's definitely something irritating your nerves, because ultimately that's what registers pain.

Check to see if its inflamed -- if it is, then most likely an infection. Also check to see if you accidentally punctured your skin -- might be a splinter or something alike. Generally, pain comes in response to injury, so you've most likely injured your foot without knowing how.
Anonymous Author
wrote...
3 years ago
So the pain hasn't subsided even when you sit and apply no pressure. Hmm... That's odd. There's definitely something irritating your nerves, because ultimately that's what registers pain. Check to see if its inflamed -- if it is, then most likely an infection. Also check to see if you accidentally punctured your skin -- might be a splinter or something alike. Generally, pain comes in response to injury, so you've most likely injured your foot without knowing how.

It doesn't seem to be based on pressure. Heating it up will get rid of it eventually, but that's just raynauds I guess.

I haven't injured it recently, unless it's been injured by doing something very light (like moving around the house, or putting socks on etc). Is it possible it is just raynauds caused pain, and that I for some reason only get the pain in one foot? The "coldness" for lack of a better term is the same on each side of my body (it also affects my hands, never painfully though). I can feel some pain on the left in certain circumstances, like when I am in the shower I feel a small amount of pain in the left if that is the only foot that is in the water (I assume it's because the water is hot), it's just a lot worse in the right. Could it just be only really noticeable in the right as it's worse there, without any real underlying cause?

I'm right side dominant or whatever (right handed, use right foot for stuff (not that I ever do anything with it, but if I was to go to kick something I would default to right foot etc), no idea if that has any effect on this?
Anonymous Author
wrote...
3 years ago
So the pain hasn't subsided even when you sit and apply no pressure. Hmm... That's odd. There's definitely something irritating your nerves, because ultimately that's what registers pain. Check to see if its inflamed -- if it is, then most likely an infection. Also check to see if you accidentally punctured your skin -- might be a splinter or something alike. Generally, pain comes in response to injury, so you've most likely injured your foot without knowing how.

I actualy asked this question as part of a wider concern I have at the moment which is that I have some form of central sensitisation. I will copy paste the explanation of my situation:

18, male, had anxiety for ages but only been real bad over last 2 years. Mainly health anxiety.

From 5 to 2 months ago (i.e. a 3 month period ending 2 months ago), had psychosomatic wrist pain brought about by stressing about potential future issues.

From 2 months ago to 2 weeks ago, only once had a wee bit of wrist pain which was when I was trying to do some push ups.

In this time (from 2 months to 2 weeks ago), I was stressed about other aspects of my health, some of which lead to psychosomatic symptoms and some of which didn't.

2 Weeks ago noticed that if I type continually without a single break for 2 minutes, I get tightness and pain in right wrist. No pain when gaming. Continued to use PC for about 10 days, never had any pain when doing this. Over last 4 days have been trying to make sure I don't have pain. Sat in a weird position 2 days ago which made my shoulder hurt. Next day woke up and shoulder was sore, no idea if this is because of the weird sitting position, as the pain went away after I moved, so I don't know why it would appear again next day. Around this time also experienced the first weird raynauds pain in right foot

1 day later (yesterday) I read about central and peripheral sensitisation. Now I have pain on right side that seems to move around constantly, but never in more than one place at once (plus if I pinch myself or induce pain any other way, it stops the other pain).

And if I look back over the last few days, I feel like I can find example of stuff that was a little bit too painful, but that could easily be me stressing about stuff and it's normal.

Over the last few days have been experiencing the raynauds thing more, could be because of the tablets I have started taking, however have no idea why it's in one side still

Now this worries me in 2 ways:

1) That I was already sensitive to this because of my anxiety, maybe HPA imbalance, idk if that would happen I read about that somewhere. I don't have panic disorder or anything, just bad GAD and health anxiety. And that this combined with the potential minor RSI in my hand (and not stoping working even after I noticed it (although never had pain when working)) caused some kindof quick onset central sensitisation.

and 2) That the pain I got when trying to do a push up about a month ago, was as a result of some kindof sensitisation from when I had 3 months of psychosomatic pain, and that this could get worse in the future (going into comp sci so gonna be using a computer a lot).

All of this pain is on the right side, other than a few rare occasions, or pain that is in the middle (back pain, and had eye pain, both eyes).

The thing that concerns me about this is that I don't know how the pain from the cold could be a psycosymatic, "because I'm worried about it", kindof thing, as the first time it happened, I wasn't yet worried about Central sensitisation, and was only worried about my wrist.

I don't know if it could possibly have happened because I was worried about my right wrist and arm, which meant I was more prone to pain on the right side in general or something.

This is the only aspect I can't really explain other than that I do have central sensitisation, and it is mainly on one side.

As a lot of other things don't make sense in regard to it being central sensitisation, namely the lack of significant pain leading up to this, and the fact it hasn't got worse over the last week, despite appearing with a couple of days.

The reason I asked the question on here only referencing the raynauds thing was because I was hoping to find an explanation that could explain it so that I could disregard it as a potential factor for this.

Basicaly I don't really know if I actually have some central sensitisation or whether all of this is just because I am worried about it.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Oh my gosh, are you the carpel tunnel syndrome guy?

Do you really have Raynaud's, like its been diagnosed by a professional?
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, Ethan Gascoigne
Oh my gosh, are you the carpel tunnel syndrome guy? Do you really have Raynaud's, like its been diagnosed by a professional?

Yeah I made a post on here a few weeks ago, pretty sure it was the same forum.

I do have raynauds I think, it's never been diagnosed I don't think, but I have noticed it for a few years. It never has caused any issues in the past. I only ever notice it if I sit in a cold room on my computer for hours and then touch my face (or someone elses hand) with my hand. I take another kindof medication which can cause it too, and have for years, so I always assumed it was that, but it was never worth worrying about as it is so minor. Technically I suppose it could be something else, but I think raynauds would be the simplest explanation. (I suppose it could be caused by circulation issues or something, but I'm young so that seems unlikely)

I'm actually on my OG account which I managed to forget about, I think I asked some questions about hair systems or something a few months ago, I must have come back to this site cause the URL was still saved lol, surprised I didn't notice I was on the same forum. That may have been a different site idk. Didn't have a PC for a while so was using mobile and it all looks different lol.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Just so you know,

Primary Raynaud's disease is diagnosed following the Allen Brown criteria. There are four components. The certainty of the diagnosis and severity of the disease increase as more criteria are met. The first is that at least two of the three color changes must occur during attacks provoked by cold and or stress. The second is that episodes must periodically occur for at least two years. The third is that attacks must occur in both the hands and the feet in the absence of vascular occlusive disease. The last is that there is no other identifiable cause for the Raynaud's episodes.

A cold stimulation test may also be performed to help to confirm a diagnosis of Raynaud's disease. The temperature of affected fingers or toes is taken. The hand or foot is then placed completely into a container of ice water for 20 seconds. After removal from the water, the temperature of the affected digits is immediately recorded. The temperature is retaken every five minutes until it returns to the pre-immersion level. Most individuals recover normal temperature within 15 minutes. People with Raynaud's disease may require 20 minutes or more to reach their pre-immersion temperature.

Laboratory testing is performed frequently. However, these results are often inconclusive for several reasons. Provocative testing such as the ice emergence just described, is difficult to interpret because there is considerable overlap between normal and abnormal results. The antinuclear antibody test of blood is usually negative in Raynaud's disease. Capillary beds under finger nails usually appear normal. Erythrocyte sedimentation rates are often abnormal in people with connective tissue diseases. Unfortunately, this finding is not consistent in people with Raynaud's disease.

Another thing to mention is that the peripheries in the human body as always colder than the core parts; this is why our toes and fingers are first to go during a frost bite. As an experiment, place your fingers on your lips, you'll notice they're relatively colder than if you were to place your bicep on your lip.

I'm actually on my OG account which I managed to forget about, I think I asked some questions about hair systems or something a few months ago, I must have come back to this site cause the URL was still saved lol, surprised I didn't notice I was on the same forum. That may have been a different site idk. Didn't have a PC for a while so was using mobile and it all looks different lol.

I can see the connection now. But by all means, you may use the website as you please...
Anonymous Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Just so you know,
Primary Raynaud's disease is diagnosed following the Allen Brown criteria. There are four components. The certainty of the diagnosis and severity of the disease increase as more criteria are met. The first is that at least two of the three color changes must occur during attacks provoked by cold and or stress. The second is that episodes must periodically occur for at least two years. The third is that attacks must occur in both the hands and the feet in the absence of vascular occlusive disease. The last is that there is no other identifiable cause for the Raynaud's episodes. A cold stimulation test may also be performed to help to confirm a diagnosis of Raynaud's disease. The temperature of affected fingers or toes is taken. The hand or foot is then placed completely into a container of ice water for 20 seconds. After removal from the water, the temperature of the affected digits is immediately recorded. The temperature is retaken every five minutes until it returns to the pre-immersion level. Most individuals recover normal temperature within 15 minutes. People with Raynaud's disease may require 20 minutes or more to reach their pre-immersion temperature. Laboratory testing is performed frequently. However, these results are often inconclusive for several reasons. Provocative testing such as the ice emergence just described, is difficult to interpret because there is considerable overlap between normal and abnormal results. The antinuclear antibody test of blood is usually negative in Raynaud's disease. Capillary beds under finger nails usually appear normal. Erythrocyte sedimentation rates are often abnormal in people with connective tissue diseases. Unfortunately, this finding is not consistent in people with Raynaud's disease.
Another thing to mention is that the peripheries in the human body as always colder than the core parts; this is why our toes and fingers are first to go during a frost bite. As an experiment, place your fingers on your lips, you'll notice they're relatively colder than if you were to place your bicep on your lip.
I can see the connection now. But by all means, you may use the website as you please...

Do you think it's likely it could be some form of central sensitisation, or does it just sounds like psychosomatic pain from worrying?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Do you think it's likely it could be some form of central sensitisation, or does it just sounds like psychosomatic pain from worrying?

The latter is more likely. I think you should take a Tylenol to see if the pain will subside. Tylenol is harmless, and if it's actually being caused by something like an infection, it'll go away voluntarily until the stuff wears off.
Anonymous Author
wrote...
3 years ago
The latter is more likely. I think you should take a Tylenol to see if the pain will subside. Tylenol is harmless, and if it's actually being caused by something like an infection, it'll go away voluntarily until the stuff wears off.

What do you think could be causing the raynauds-like pain?

It just seems weird that it would happen as a result of psychosomatic pain, as it did happen before I was properly worried about overall sensitisation. Is it possible being worried about my right wrist and arm caused me to also subconsiouly worry about everything else or something.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Pain comes and goes, so it's hard to pinpoint what aggravated the location to begin with. Nerve hyperactivity can be caused by a stimulus or possibly in your case, the mind. Either you crushed your finger somehow, pinched a nerve while asleep, or lodged something into your flesh (such a splinter).

What does Raynaud pain feel like? And, how would you know if you don't have it?
Anonymous Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Pain comes and goes, so it's hard to pinpoint what aggravated the location to begin with. Nerve hyperactivity can be caused by a stimulus or possibly in your case, the mind. Either you crushed your finger somehow, pinched a nerve while asleep, or lodged something into your flesh (such a splinter). What does Raynaud pain feel like? And, how would you know if you don't have it?

I mean it might not be strictly raynauds pain, idk really, but it definitely has something to do with temperature. I just can't think of anything I've actually done to my foot that could cause this.

If I think back to other times I have had issues, I do think that iut is more common for me to get problem in the right side, could I just be more sensitive to getting issues there? I suppose it could be a kindof comfirmation bias that when I look back I see what i want to see
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1386 People Browsing
 133 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741