m
p
m
f
Shafaifer Shafaifer
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
14. Which of the following is a defining characteristic of an allosteric protein demonstrating sequential kinetics?
a. The enzyme interconverts between the T and R states in the absence of substrate.
b. In the enzyme complex, monomeric units might be in a mix of R and T states.
c. The binding of substrate increases the affinity of the complex for additional substrate molecules
d. Once a substrate binds to the R state, all of the monomeric units are "locked" into the R state.
e. The substrate binds only to the monomers previously converted to the R state.

I'm not sure if the the correct answer is b or c (I do not think the other suggestions are correct). It is the induced fit protocol vs completely conformational change concerning substrate binding I am not certain about. See link: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allosteric_regulation)
Read 586 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
I'd go with c. They don't say anything about substrate binding for b. In the absence of substrate all of the enzyme is in the T state for sequential allostery. The only way you could have a mix of R and T states is if the R states have substrate bound to them.
Shafaifer Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I'd go with c. They don't say anything about substrate binding for b. In the absence of substrate all of the enzyme is in the T state for sequential allostery. The only way you could have a mix of R and T states is if the R states have substrate bound to them.

Thank you. But it says "enzyme complex" i.e. ES. Assumption: So if this ES-complex is located at an R-state, answer b) could be correct. Maybe both b and c are correct answers? By the way, thank you very much.
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
I interpreted "enzyme complex" to mean just two or more monomers in a complex. You can make a case for b, though c I think is always true.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1005 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 378