a
t
i
r
Mateyman Mateyman
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
3 years ago
Hello, we have just learned about cancer research and stem cells in my cell and molecular bio class and I had some questions.

First part of questions is using the graph here that compared Lifetime risk and total stem cell divisions

https://www.biointeractive.org/classroom-resources/cell-division-and-cancer-risk

So using that graph I got 4 questions below I wanted to double check

1) Whats the coorelation between lifetime risk and total stem cell divisions

To me it looks linear, we see more risk to cancer with more stem cell divisions which makes sense cos of the DNA replication having increased chance of error > mutation, thoughts?

2) They want to see why their is a difference in lifetime risk between colorectal cancer (large intestine) and duodenum (small intestine), Heres where they are in the graph for comparison sake: https://imgur.com/GHryeHE

If I were to guess I would say it would be something such as stem cells not being similar for the two of them and not being in the same body site but then I would have to go in depth about how is the stem cells in large intestine different compared to small and how does that difference causes the large intestine to be higher in the graph, any help?

3) Why researchers focus on stem cells and not differentiated cells?

I believe because stem cells renew and differentiate, but differentiated cells don't renew? (Not sure cos from google its kinda confusin)

But second reason is because stem cells actually have tumorigenic abilities and can produce tumors where in differentiated cells do not?

4) They ask why the lung cancer for smokers and lung cancer for non smokers are aligned vertically in the graph, here: https://imgur.com/wLvIAW7

I would assume for comparisons sake? Like its easy to compare the two when they are both aligned but hold on, now looking at it I think its because both non smokers and smokers suffer from the same cancer so that cancer is aligned the same. Like both suffer from lung cancer and not a different cancer, correct?

I will post the next set of questions below, thanks!
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 59 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago

Yes, I see a positive correlation between the two variables. Your reasoning is sound.

The large intestines are anatomically different that the small intestines. The small intestines absorb nutrients, where the colon reabsorbs water and salts. On the contrary, the duodenum is constantly exposed to gastric juices, so arguably it takes more "abuse" over its lifetime.

Stem cells are undifferentiated, meaning they haven't committed to a specific cell type. Researchers focus on stem cells because their DNA is free of modifications that you'd find in a differentiated cell. If a stem cell is older, there's a higher likelihood that it will pass on a defected gene, leading to cancer.

But second reason is because stem cells actually have tumorigenic abilities and can produce tumors where in differentiated cells do not?

Elaborate on that, HabibiFreshUFC, not sure how you mean...

I was thinking the same, for comparison, but I'm not entirely certain.
Mateyman Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Thanks!

Never mind on #3, I was wrong.

My only question left is filling in the blanks here:

6.In order for cancer cells to leave their tissue of origin and invade neighboring tissues and to metastasize, the extracellular matrix may be  ___ by cancer cells with the action of  ___. 

Thoughts?

Thinking of degraded:matrix metalloproteases
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free