s
a
t
i
r
chibi Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Yes I am expected to estimate the max and min values. If i’m quite honest, I didn’t do so well with this unit so that’s why I had a lot of trouble with graphing polynomial functions.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
No worries, chibi. That's why we're here to help each other.

The fact that your teacher wants you to estimate this point is a good sign, because then you know you haven't missed anything important.

Let's take a random polynomial in factored form:

f(x) = (x + 1)(x - 2)2(x + 3)3

You need to be mindful that if the multiplicity of a factor is 1, such as (x + 1), it's go directly through the x-axis like a linear equation.

If the multiplicity of a factor is 2, such as (x - 2)2, then it'll behave like a parabola. In fact, an exponent that is even, whether it be 2, 4, 6, etc., will always behave this way and will NOT cross the x-axis. 

If the multiplicity of a factor is 3, such as (x + 3)3, then it'll behave like a cubic. All odd exponent other than 1 will do this.

Now, in terms of finding the local min/max, let's say one happens to exists between x = -1 and x = 2, you pick values that are -1 < x < 2, such as x = -0.5, 0, and 1 to see what happens to the original function. You'll be able to analyze their outputs, and estimate where the change occurs.
chibi Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, chibi
Wow! Thanks @bio_man, that made it so much easier now Smiling Face with Open Mouth I have officially completed this question.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Wow! Thanks @bio_man, that made it so much easier now Smiling Face with Open Mouth I have officially completed this question.

Sweet, I marked it solved 👍
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1341 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?