s
a
t
i
r
123Ghostman123 123Ghostman123
wrote...
3 years ago
I am extremely confused about DNA hydrolysis and synthesis as the internet claims DNA synthesis to be exergonic. My textbook tells me that if a process is exergonic, then the reverse process must be endergonic. However quora is telling me that DNA hydrolysis is also exergonic!! Somebody please explain, thank you
Read 86 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
3 years ago
In exergonic reactions, free energy is released; in endergonic ones, it is absorbed.

DNA hydrolysis involves the breakdown of DNA via water and applicable enzymes. There is energy holding the bonds together, so when they're broken, that energy is released.

The first step in DNA hydrolysis involves bringing the non-bonded electron pairs on the oxygen atom of water into very close proximity of one of the phosphorus atoms in the DNA backbone. As we have previously seen, electrons repel each other. When the non-bonding electron pairs of an oxygen atom approach the phosphorus atom in a phosphate group, they are strongly repelled by the negative charges surrounding the phosphate oxygens. In other words, the abundance of electron density on the phosphate oxygens effectively shields the phosphorus atom from being attacked by water. Indeed, when DNA is chemically modified so as to remove the phosphate negative charges, it becomes much more prone to hydrolysis.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1328 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?