e
w
j
a
pl6 pl6
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, pl6
I would like to know which stocks have been most talked about in the news last year based on a major event/issue that has occurred. (fortune500 companies)Thanks Slight Smile
Read 597 times
38 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
tesla stocks
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Tesla is a good one to talk about, another being GameStop Corp. (GME) or any airline stock.
pl6 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
When you mentioned about doing any airline stock, I thought of American Airliners Group Inc. and I found some info from last year with different headlines:
1. https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Group-Announces-Proposed-Public-Offering-of-Common-Stock-CORP-FI-11/
2. https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Group-Reports-First-Quarter-2020-Financial-Results-CORP-FI-04/default.aspx
3. https://dbtnews.com/2020/11/23/american-airlines-group-inc-aal-stock-trading-around-12-53-per-share-whats-next/
If you don't mind, based on reading the headline, have any suggestions as to which piece of news has a lot more to talk about? Slight Smile I think 3 maybe, what do you think?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I don't like any of these sources actually. You could also research Amazon's stock or Twitter. I remember when they banned Donald Trump, their stock temporarily plummeted.
pl6 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
unfortunately other's are doing amazon so I have to choose something else. Also, the twitter incident involving Trump wasn't really from last years news. I was also thinking Walmart but didn't find much info in there Frowning Face
pl6 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Update on finding a stock: I found some info with walmart, which one of these news do you think is better to talk about? also thank you for all of the suggestions.
1.  https://www.investopedia.com/walmart-stock-could-hit-new-2020-low-4796672
2. https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/12/28/what-happened-to-walmart-stock-in-2020/
3. https://investorplace.com/2020/01/walmarts-deep-bench-will-keep-powering-the-stock-in-2020/
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

pl6 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Hi bio_man, thanks. I'm very glad that I was able to finally have a stock to talk about Slight Smile
pl6 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I had found another article that speaks in detail of part of the ^article, but there was some things that I didn't understand of, I'm not too knowledgeable about stocks, I didn't really understand much of what the percentages and the daily gain meant? It would be very helpful if you could explain what this means. 
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
These numbers are based on percent increase/decrease. So if the stock closed $143.90 - marking a move of +0.66% from the previous close - this means that if we set x as yesterday's unknown price, then:

1) Convert the percent to a decimal number:

0.65% ÷ 100% = 0.0065 (rate)

2) Set up the percent increase/decrease equation:

x + 0.0065(x) = $143.90

3)  Solve for x:

1.0065(x) = $143.90
x = $142.97

Before the close the day before, the price per share was $142.97, it rose 0.66% to $143.90.

Hope that helps!
pl6 Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, pl6
Wow! Thank you so much, but I believe it's supposed to be $142.95, you used 0.65% by accident Slight Smile and generally, you would say that from this increase, Walmart's stock has been doing very well (high increase). Is there anything else I could say about based on this following increase?

There was a part of the attachment that had stated how Walmart had surpassed the stock market of s&p 500, which is the issue/current event that I'm going to be talking about or interpreting. But just a question, what does it mean that a stock has surpassed the stock market? I know that it is a good thing for the Walmart stock. I wanted to talk about that in more detail.

Could you also possibly tell me about the meaning behind the daily gain and the "added gain"? (Dow added 0.4%..) It didn't really make much sense to me.

Sorry if that's a lot of question's in one topic, would you like me to post a separate one?

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
you would say that from this increase, Walmart's stock has been doing very well (high increase). Is there anything else I could say about based on this following increase?

Very well? Not really. It's just out-performing the average of all retailers, and not by alot.

But just a question, what does it mean that a stock has surpassed the stock market?

The S&P is an index comprised of 500 large, industry-leading U.S. companies. If it "surpassed the stock market" average, it means it's performing better than half the companies listed in the S&P.

Could you also possibly tell me about the meaning behind the daily gain and the "added gain"? (Dow added 0.4%..) It didn't really make much sense to me.

The DOW is an index, much the same as the S&P. The DOW tracks the stock prices of 30 of the biggest American companies. The S&P 500 tracks 500 large-cap American stocks. Both offer a big-picture view of the state of the stock markets in general.
pl6 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Very well? Not really. It's just out-performing the average of all retailers, and not by alot.
I guess, but from this it had lead the stock to surpass S&P 500, which is a good thing.

The S&P is an index comprised of 500 large, industry-leading U.S. companies. If it "surpassed the stock market" average, it means it's performing better than half the companies listed in the S&P.
Ah okay, thank you for that.

The DOW is an index, much the same as the S&P. The DOW tracks the stock prices of 30 of the biggest American companies. The S&P 500 tracks 500 large-cap American stocks. Both offer a big-picture view of the state of the stock markets in general.
Yes but my question what does it mean when the stock surpasses the S&P 500 daily gain of 0.47% As well as the how Dow added 0.4%, resulting for Nasdaq to gain 0.33%
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1131 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587