Top Posters
Since Sunday
Birdy Birdy
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A month ago
What is the social-cognitive explanation of dissociative identity disorder? What are three types of evidence that would invalidate (i.e., not support) the social-cognitive position?
Textbook 

Psychology

Edition: 1st
Authors:
Read 10 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
klynklyn
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A month ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
More questions for this book are available here
Answers may vary, but should include the following for full credit:
Dissociative identity disorder is a controversial diagnosis. People who adopt a social-cognitive explanation argue that the condition is either made up, induced by therapists, or an instance of role-playing on the part of the diagnosed person, especially within the highly publicized sociocultural context of the United States. Evidence that would invalidate this position is 1) identification of dissociative identity disorder across different cultures, where historically the disorder has not been diagnosed; 2) demonstrating that all cases of dissociative identity disorder include a history of severe trauma, which is the basis for arguments made by those who see the condition as "real," and; 3) evidence that people cannot fake dissociative identity disorder under laboratory conditions. To date evidence in each of these areas has been gathered, leading the explanatory controversy to continue.

This verified answer contains over 140 words.