D
t
i
v
mlee52381 mlee52381
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A month ago
Country X and Country Y are two neighboring countries that are experiencing a recession. The government of Country X reduced its expenditure during the recession, while Country Y's government increased the supply of money in the economy. Which of the two policies will help the economy recover from the recession?
Textbook 

Macroeconomics

Edition: 3rd
Authors:
Read 7 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
scmhackscmhack
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A month ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
More solutions for this book are available here
Aggregate demand falls during a recession. This reduces production and the demand for labor, leading to a sharp increase in unemployment and a further reduction in private expenditure. If the government also reduces its expenditure during a recession, production will fall even more, leading to more job losses. However, if the central bank increases the supply of money, the aggregate price level will increase. An increase in output prices will lead to an increase in production. As a result, firms will hire more workers. Thus, the policy adopted by the government of Country Y is a better policy for helping recover from a recession.

This verified answer contains over 100 words.