i
r
r
Naithi O_Rea Naithi O_Rea
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
A year ago
Hi.

A Facebook post from a local triggered me this morning to ask this.

He posted a video of a seal just playing around in the water.

I see them doing this sort of thing a lot around here. Central Coast, NSW, Australia. Mostly in the Brisbane Water.

They either just seem to lay there motionless for ages, or kinda look like they're washing themselves.

My questions is.. Why on Earth are they not attacked by sharks when they do this. I am sure they would not do this if they did get attacked a lot.

The estuaries around here are supposed to have plenty of bull sharks in them at this time of year. I would have thought a seal laying there motionless would be an easy meal.

Can anyone explain some of the dynamics going on here? The Brisbane Water is a little shallower than some of the other estuaries around, so maybe doesn't get the bigger sharks... but its not shallow like where you can walk across it or something. There are still some big boats in here.

I had trouble uploading any videos (maybe just because it's my first time), but here is a YT link to the sort of thing I'm talking about. This is a little one, but sometimes there are huge ones just laying out there barely moving.
Read 181 times
4 Replies