Top Posters
Since Sunday
Noha abdelrazik Noha abdelrazik
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A year ago
Hello,

I have a question from a book called Models of mind by Grace Lindsay

Here the writer talks about the difference between biologists and mathematicians and I couldn't get the point here:

Biologists study living things that are abundant with specific traits and nuanced exceptions to any rule.
Mathematicians – driven by simplicity, elegance and the need to make things manageable – squash that abundance when they put it into equations.

Read 116 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
That is her definition of a mathematician. After receiving my master's degree in mathematics, and prior, my bachelors degree in biology, I have realized that mathematicians differ from every other number-based, science-based profession in our ability to want to undeniably prove ideas. That is, mathematicians are obsessed with proofs; that is, without a proof to a theorem, it holds no value and cannot be used confidently to explain a phenomenon. Biology, on the contrary, can get away without providing an undeniable proof; for example, if you have a sore throat and visit a doctor, you may quickly be diagnosed with have a viral infection without doing any testing to identify the main cause - no proof is provided to the patient, just a prediction.

What are your thoughts?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1306 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274