p
n
C
z
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
6 months ago
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fECVC9zjS-g&pp=ygUZaG93IGRvIGFsbGVyZ3kgc2hvdHMgd29yaw%3D%3D

I watched this video, but how does the body react differently from real world substances, and what I presume are the same things but in a syringe?
Read 344 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
6 months ago
In the shot, you have proteins from the allergen that were isolated. By gradually increasing the concentration of the allergen, the idea is that your body will build a tolerance, leading to a reduce future reaction.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
6 months ago
In the shot, you have proteins from the allergen that were isolated. By gradually increasing the concentration of the allergen, the idea is that your body will build a tolerance, leading to a reduce future reaction.

What in the full substance in addition to just the protein that exists outdoors makes the allergies worse and not better?
wrote...
Staff Member
6 months ago
We have discovered the exact proteins that lead to the reaction, so really the rest of the stuff isn't necessary
- Bachelor of Science
Anonymous
wrote...
6 months ago
What in the full substance in addition to just the protein that exists outdoors makes the allergies worse and not better?

A puree of the substance in powdered form (e.g. wettable powder) could work, but I don't think it would be necessary.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
6 months ago Edited: 6 months ago, CarbonRobot
We have discovered the exact proteins that lead to the reaction, so really the rest of the stuff isn't necessary

But what exactly makes our reaction different out of a syringe than out in nature if it is largely the same substance?
Post Merge: 6 months ago

As far as building a tolerance isn't that the same as basically living near the allergen and facing it daily?
wrote...
Staff Member
6 months ago
As far as building a tolerance isn't that the same as basically living near the allergen and facing it daily?

Not when your hypersensitive to the allergen. Being exposed to it daily will kill you faster than your ability to build a tolerance. For example, people that are allergic to certain foods, such as peanut butter, can cause their airways to close, effectively suffocating them to death.

But what exactly makes our reaction different out of a syringe than out in nature if it is largely the same substance?

We get to control the level of exposure. Its almost liked a controlled experiment. Further, you have medical experts there to monitor your reaction if something goes haywire.
- Bachelor of Science
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
6 months ago
What's all this stuff about th1 versus th2? What determines which side of the blackboard in the video is effected?
wrote...
Staff Member
6 months ago
This animation on t-helper cells should clear things up

https://videos.homeworkclinic.com/watch/440/helper-t-cell-receptors-activation-proliferation-differentiation-action/
- Bachelor of Science
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
6 months ago
That was a bit over my head. I just wonder if there is a way to ensure low inflammation when getting allergy shots to better ensure success.
wrote...
Staff Member
6 months ago
Sry I didn't realize it was too sciency

The threshold is built based on the severity that the patient exhibits. For example, if you're deathly allergic, the threshold will consist of tiny amounts of protein. The medical professional will then increase it gradually until the desired reaction from the recipient is observed.
- Bachelor of Science
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
6 months ago
I have read they are experimenting with super micro dosing peanuts to try to offer tolerance to those who have very deadly allergy to them.
wrote...
Staff Member
6 months ago
I have read they are experimenting with super micro dosing peanuts to try to offer tolerance to those who have very deadly allergy to them.

At least they're putting that technology to good use I guess. Micro doses aren't hard to produce, the principals of simple dilution is all that's needed. Luckily we have the technology to precisely identify the concentrations. Keep diluting until it's hardly detectable.
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  965 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 299