a
t
i
r
mxnick262 mxnick262
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
 You have isolated a novel transcription factor. How will you determine the genes regulated by transcription factor in the whole genome?

I am having a hard time trying to figure out which combination of methods will work for this problem. I understand that in order to determine which genes are being regulated by the TF, the TF must somehow be altered to see which genes are no longer expressed (which proteins are no longer translated). Would a knockout mutation work in this case? If so, how would you ensure the knockout occurs at the right gene? Any guidance would be much appreciated, thank you.
Read 1120 times
5 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
How will you determine the genes regulated by transcription factor in the whole genome?

Have you written this part properly?
mxnick262 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Yesir. Unfortunately, that is the wording that my professor used.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
OK. So, I'm guessing this transcription factor you've discovered regulates genes, and your prof. is asking, how will you know which genes it regulates. AND... by regulate, he means which genes it helps to transcribe into mRNA, and in turn into protein through the process of translation. Have you looked it this way? If so, couldn't you tell by doing a backwards experiment where you isolate the protein or mRNA it helps to transcribe, use some form of x-ray diffraction to view its shape, and find out what its amino acid sequence is.
mxnick262 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
It is sort of a hypothetical question. I am just an undergraduate so your answer sounds right to me. I do think he may want something a little less complicated. What if I were to use post transcriptional gene silencing by transfecting siRNAs that will target and bind to the mRNA coding for the TF? Is that feasible?

What if the model organism dies as a result?
Answer accepted by topic starter
lewislewis
wrote...
Valued Member
Top Poster
12 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 140 words.