s
a
t
i
r
Anonymous samantacastillo
wrote...
11 months ago
Given that the pirate ship runs on carbonate ions, and with the limited chemicals available on Mars, she has begun to investigate possible reactions.

The sodium chloride can react with the calcium carbonate.

1)  why would she want to use the carbonate product of this reaction, rather than the reactant?

2) If she uses 150mL of a 1.12 mol/L NaCI solution with 100mL of a 1.17 mol/L CaCO, solution, what concentration of carbonate ions can she make? (note: limiting reagent question) AND The actual yield of carbonate ions was slightly lower than expected. Theorize as to why this may have been.

3) she has been busy and has also developed a new solvent in which Fe(CO,), is highly soluble. If she mixes 17.2g of iron (LI) carbonate in enough of this solvent to create 500mL, of solution, what is the concentration of carbonate ions?
Read 183 times
12 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
11 months ago
Is there a back story to this question that you haven't provided? If so, attach it Happy Dummy
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Anonymous Author
wrote...
11 months ago
Yes let me add it here

She has fulfilled a life-long dream taking a side job with the Canadian Space Agency (CA) working on a vchicle for the future colonization of Mars. Her first design is a pirate ship that runs off of carbonate ions.  She has begun her preliminary chemistry experiments using sodium chloride, iron (III) carbonate, potassium hydroxide and liquid ammonia. She placed each of these chemicals into a 250mL, beaker containing enough water to make 200ml. of solution.
wrote...
Staff Member
11 months ago
Does this excerpt come before or after the initial text? I can't seem to piece together the connection it has to the pirate ship mentioned earlier
- Bachelor of Science
Anonymous Author
wrote...
11 months ago
Before. But it does not have connection it’s just the questions
wrote...
Staff Member
11 months ago
It doesn't make sense to me still. I highlighted the "pirate ship" part that is out of place.

She has fulfilled a life-long dream taking a side job with the Canadian Space Agency (CA) working on a vchicle for the future colonization of Mars. Her first design is a pirate ship that runs off of carbonate ions.  She has begun her preliminary chemistry experiments using sodium chloride, iron (III) carbonate, potassium hydroxide and liquid ammonia. She placed each of these chemicals into a 250mL, beaker containing enough water to make 200ml. of solution.

Given that the pirate ship runs on carbonate ions, and with the limited chemicals available on Mars, she has begun to investigate possible reactions.

The sodium chloride can react with the calcium carbonate.

1)  why would she want to use the carbonate product of this reaction, rather than the reactant?

2) If she uses 150mL of a 1.12 mol/L NaCI solution with 100mL of a 1.17 mol/L CaCO, solution, what concentration of carbonate ions can she make? (note: limiting reagent question) AND The actual yield of carbonate ions was slightly lower than expected. Theorize as to why this may have been.

3) she has been busy and has also developed a new solvent in which Fe(CO,), is highly soluble. If she mixes 17.2g of iron (LI) carbonate in enough of this solvent to create 500mL, of solution, what is the concentration of carbonate ions?

I don't mean to be difficult, I just need a clear picture before starting Neutral Dummy
- Bachelor of Science
Anonymous Author
wrote...
11 months ago Edited: 11 months ago
It’s just an assignment that is called space ship, but it’s not related to the questions the questions start in the part
The sodium chloride can react…
wrote...
Staff Member
11 months ago

What is Fe(CO,) and iron (LI) carbonate Neutral Face

Please double check your text
- Bachelor of Science
Anonymous Author
wrote...
11 months ago
Sure sorry
It’s fe2(co3)3
And iron (III) carbonate
Answer verified by a subject expert
duddyduddy
wrote...
Staff Member
Top Poster
11 months ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
- Bachelor of Science