a
t
i
r
bilgehan08 bilgehan08
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A month ago
Inorganic means not organic. In biology, they are compounds such as water, minerals, acids, bases and salts that are found in the structure of living things but are not living things or are not produced by a living thing.

According to the information on wikipedia, inorganic compounds cannot be synthesized by living things. So why is water an inorganic compound? Water can be produced by cells as a result of respiration.
Read 110 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A month ago
It's inorganic because it lacks carbon. Usually organic compounds are made up of carbon and hydrogen.
bilgehan08 Author
wrote...
A month ago
It's inorganic because it lacks carbon. Usually organic compounds are made up of carbon and hydrogen.

I understand it being inorganic. Only Wikipedia states that inorganic compounds cannot be synthesized by living things. I meant to say that if this is true, water cannot be inorganic.
wrote...
Educator
A month ago
That's interesting... water is formed during cellular respiration inside the mitochondria indeed, and it fits the definition of inorganic. Maybe Wikipedia is wrong about this statement or their definition of synthesize is different than my understanding
wrote...
Staff Member
A month ago
Only Wikipedia states that inorganic compounds cannot be synthesized by living things.

Reference the article, pls
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
bilgehan08 Author
wrote...
A month ago Edited: A month ago, bilgehan08
Only Wikipedia states that inorganic compounds cannot be synthesized by living things.
Reference the article, pls

https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0norganik_bile%C5%9Fik
Post Merge: A month ago

That's interesting... water is formed during cellular respiration inside the mitochondria indeed, and it fits the definition of inorganic. Maybe Wikipedia is wrong about this statement or their definition of synthesize is different than my understanding

So, is the element oxygen inorganic? For example, oxygen is released in the photosynthesis of plants. Is this inorganic? We know that organic glucose is produced by photosynthesis.
wrote...
Educator
A month ago
Just by definition water is inorganic. In inorganic chemistry, it excludes the investigation of hydrocarbons (that is, anything with H-C bonds). However, inorganic compounds can be converted to organic, as is the case of converting ammonium cyanate to urea (an organic substance found in the urine of many animals).

This idea organisms cannot make inorganic substances it's true.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1290 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?