a
t
i
r
Gatorrampage Gatorrampage
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, Gatorrampage
I'm new to this forum, but i wondering if you all had any tips for getting ready for the AP BIO exam!  I would love to know how any of you all have studied or would recommend studying!  Waving Hand Sign
Read 7635 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Cool, good luck. I'm taking AP Bio as well, but this is like my 5th ap test.

No need to panic! Bring some snacks, a drink something to not get you hungry or make you want to use the bathroom during the test. Do not bring any calculators, because I don't think you'll need it. Number 2 pencils are used for MC and it is scantron based (MC).

For the free response, you use a pen, but don't worry about any of these... the proctor makes you read the directions before you open any seals. For AP biology, the break will be after 100 multiple choice questions... most likely a 10 minute break.
wrote...
12 years ago
I think you have to get around 80-85% correct (and 10 wrong) to pass it. Seriously, I don't think leaving things blank are good ideas, unless you really have no answers eliminated. In fact, never leave a multiple choice question blank.
wrote...
12 years ago
This might sound crazy but it's been scientifically proven to work. I use it and I got 88/90 in my last Biology exam and I'm probably of average intelligence, not super smart or anything. Slight Smile

Basically, on the day of the exam you have to convince yourself that you're a total genius and that everything you write on the exam paper will be correct. Simple as that. It'll really help to keep you calm and also many people don't write stuff down if they're not sure, stuff which would've actually got them a mark.

Scientific tests have been done to prove that this works, in the tests they actually used a slightly different set up where they got two sets of people to sit the same test. One set had been instructed to read a list of positive words like 'genius' and 'intelligent' and the other group had read a list of negative words like 'stupid' and 'fail'. The group that read the positive words did significantly better in the test than the other group.

So basically, if you go into the exam relaxed and with a positive mental attitude you'll really increase your chance of getting a higher mark.
wrote...
12 years ago
We did this practice exam a couple of months ago, and I thought it was pretty easy except for the last four questions on PCR. Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
12 years ago
Take a lot of practice MC tests and review the year's material in chunks. Two weeks is a pretty decent head start, so just try not to burn yourself out. If you didn't get to everything in your textbook in class, which you probably didn't, study those parts even more than the others. My year's test had a ton of plant questions, for example, which we didn't really learn about.
Bookworm5590
wrote...
12 years ago
Make sure you can write a lot about any subject. You'll need to do that for the essays. Just write any BS (lol) that comes to your mind - this usually works. Even if you aren't sure it relates to the question, put it in the essay anyway. And do practice APs - Biology-forums.com is great for that! It's not going to be easy and the previous poster mentioned, so good luck!
wrote...
12 years ago
Biology exams can seem intimidating and overwhelming to biology students. The key to overcoming these obstacles is preparation. By learning how to study for biology exams you can conquer your fears. Remember, the purpose of an exam is for you to demonstrate that you understand the concepts and information that have been taught. Below are some excellent tips to help you learn how to study for biology exams.

Here's How:

Get Organized

An important key for success in biology is organization. Good time management skills will help you to become more organized and waste less time preparing to study.

Items such as daily planners and semester calendars will help you to know what you need to do and when you need to have it done.

Start Studying Early

It is very important that you start preparing for biology exams well in advance. I know, I know, it is almost tradition for some to wait until the last minute, but students who implore this tactic don't perform their best, don't retain the information, and get worn out.

Review Lecture Notes

Be sure that you review your lecture notes before the exam. You should start reviewing your notes on a daily basis. This will ensure that you gradually learn the information over time and don't have to cram. For tips on how to take good biology notes, see How to Take Biology Notes.

Review the Biology Text

Your biology textbook is a wonderful source for finding illustrations and diagrams that will help you visualize the concepts you are learning. Be sure to reread and review the appropriate chapters and information in your textbook. You will want to make sure that you understand all key concepts and topics.

Get Answers To Your Questions

If you are having difficulty understanding a topic or have unanswered questions, discuss them with your teacher. You don't want to go into an exam with gaps in your knowledge.

Quiz Yourself

To help prepare yourself for the exam and find out how much you know, give yourself a quiz. You can do this by using prepared flash cards or taking a sample test. You can also use online biology games and quiz resources.

Find a Study Buddy

Get together with a friend or classmate and have a study session. Take turns asking and answering questions. Write your answers down in complete sentences to help you organize and express your thoughts.

Attend a Review Session

If your teacher holds a review session, be sure to attend. This will help to identify specific topics that will be covered, as well as fill in any gaps in knowledge. Help sessions are also an ideal place to get answers to your questions.

Relax

Now that you have followed the previous steps, it's time to rest and relax. You should be well prepared for your biology exam. It's a good idea to make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before your exam. You have nothing to worry about because you are well prepared.

Tips:

Take An AP Biology Course

Those who wish to gain credit for introductory college level biology courses should consider taking an Advanced Placement Biology course. Students enrolled in the AP Biology course must take the AP Biology exam to gain credit. Most colleges will give credit toward entry level biology courses for students who earn a score of 3 or better on the exam.

Use Good Study Aids

Biology flash cards are excellent tools for studying and memorizing key biology terms and information. AP Biology Flash Cards are a wonderful resource not only for those taking AP Biology, but also for biology students in general. If taking the AP Biology exam, these Top Five AP Biology Books contain extremely useful information that is sure to help you score high on the AP Biology exam.
Gatorrampage Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thank you all for the wonderful advice! Ill start organizing my self, so when the time comes I will not be so overwhelmed!  Grinning Face Again all of you have been a huge help! 
wrote...
12 years ago
Basically study as hard as you can. Practice writing the essays and go through the barons book. It is not that hard to get a five if you study!!! good luck!
wrote...
12 years ago
im sorry, this is slightly off topic but
im a new member and dont have access to the documents on the page mentioned above, but if someone would be so kind to open it and email me the attachments, i can send over bc calculus 03, 08, practice exam, chemistry 02, 08, practice exam, or lang 01, 07 practice exams in addition to bio '99, 02, practice exams.  
wrote...
12 years ago
https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=1998.0 oops thats the link..
wrote...
12 years ago
hi.. how can i get the 2008 released exam paper? can someone email me the file? needing it real bad. ><
wrote...
12 years ago
Has anybody gotten a 5 here?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1389 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293