s
a
t
i
r
iwanttoknow iwanttoknow
wrote...
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, iwanttoknow
That helps now how to do carry our the following experiment?
How can i conduct an experiment in the lab and prove if the heart continue to repolarize after the semilunar calvaes close ? if so for how long (its basically a design experiment)

also, how long does it take for the systolic pressure wave to reach the tip of finger? how can i design experiment to do that? i would appreciate any kinf of input and thoughts.

Read 5220 times
16 Replies
Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
I found this webpage: http://biology.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110/reaction.htm#Distraction

Welford (1980) and Broadbent (1971) reviewed studies showing that distractions increase reaction time. Trimmel and Poelzl (2006)  found that background noise lengthened reaction time by inhibiting parts of the cerebral cortex. Richard et al. (2002) and Lee et al. (2001) found that college students given a simulated driving task had longer reaction times when given a simultaneous auditory task. They drew conclusions about the safety effects of driving while using a cellular phone or voice-based e-mail. Horrey and Wickens (2006) and Hendrick and Switzer (2007) had similar conclusions about cell phone use while driving, and said that hands-free phones did not improve reaction time performance. Reaction time suffered more than tasks like keeping in the right lane. Redfern et al. (2002) found that subjects strapped to a platform that periodically changed orientation had slowed reaction time before and during platform movement. The reaction time to auditory stimuli was more affected than response to visual stimuli. Hsieh et al. (2007) found that simulated vibration of a computer monitor increased reaction times to stimuli presented on the monitor, worsened error rates, and caused more visual fatigue. The effect of distraction may depend on emotional state and prior experiences. Reed and Antonova (2007) frustrated some subjects by giving them unsolvable problems, and then tested the reaction times of all the subjects with distraction. Subjects who had been given the difficult problems were more slowed and distracted than subjects who had not been frustrated before the reaction time measurement. Similar results were cited by Gerdes et al. (2008), who found that subjects who were phobic about spiders had their reaction time slowed more by distracting pictures of spiders than by distracting pictures of objects like flowers and mushrooms. This was caused by the phobic subjects' failure to look away from the spider pictures as fast as they looked away from the other pictures. Martinie et al. (2010) found that being forced to write an essay defending opinions that the writer did not really share actually improved reaction time, possibly due to increased arousal.
iwanttoknow Author
wrote...
13 years ago
I found this webpage: http://biology.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110/reaction.htm#Distraction

Welford (1980) and Broadbent (1971) reviewed studies showing that distractions increase reaction time. Trimmel and Poelzl (2006)  found that background noise lengthened reaction time by inhibiting parts of the cerebral cortex. Richard et al. (2002) and Lee et al. (2001) found that college students given a simulated driving task had longer reaction times when given a simultaneous auditory task. They drew conclusions about the safety effects of driving while using a cellular phone or voice-based e-mail. Horrey and Wickens (2006) and Hendrick and Switzer (2007) had similar conclusions about cell phone use while driving, and said that hands-free phones did not improve reaction time performance. Reaction time suffered more than tasks like keeping in the right lane. Redfern et al. (2002) found that subjects strapped to a platform that periodically changed orientation had slowed reaction time before and during platform movement. The reaction time to auditory stimuli was more affected than response to visual stimuli. Hsieh et al. (2007) found that simulated vibration of a computer monitor increased reaction times to stimuli presented on the monitor, worsened error rates, and caused more visual fatigue. The effect of distraction may depend on emotional state and prior experiences. Reed and Antonova (2007) frustrated some subjects by giving them unsolvable problems, and then tested the reaction times of all the subjects with distraction. Subjects who had been given the difficult problems were more slowed and distracted than subjects who had not been frustrated before the reaction time measurement. Similar results were cited by Gerdes et al. (2008), who found that subjects who were phobic about spiders had their reaction time slowed more by distracting pictures of spiders than by distracting pictures of objects like flowers and mushrooms. This was caused by the phobic subjects' failure to look away from the spider pictures as fast as they looked away from the other pictures. Martinie et al. (2010) found that being forced to write an essay defending opinions that the writer did not really share actually improved reaction time, possibly due to increased arousal.

Thank you so much for your reply i appreciate ythat, can you answer my other two questions listed above
wrote...
13 years ago
Yeh, I'm trying to come up with something that can be performed in a lab, though it's hard. I'm still researching.
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
13 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 120 words and 2 attached file(s).
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.

Related Topics

iwanttoknow Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thanks for attempting to answer the question biology101.

Back to your question:

We know that when the semilunar valves is closed, the atrioventricular (AV) valves opens, and the whole heart is relaxed. This is called late diastole. So I suppose to could set up an experiment using an electrocardiogram (ecg) that is connected to the left hand (index finger) and take note of the T wave. The T wave represents the repolarization (or recovery) of the ventricles. The interval from the beginning of the QRS complex to the apex of the T wave is referred to as the absolute refractory period. The last half of the T wave is referred to as the relative refractory period (or vulnerable period). (See the diagrams below).

thank you that helps. i have the following equipment available in the lab
stethescope
cardiac microphones
time pushingbuton

moreover how can i "how long does it take for the systolic pressure wave to reach the tip of finger? how can i design experiment to do that?"
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Here is an old experiment I dug up for the last part. Read the second page, gives a thorough introduction.

Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
iwanttoknow Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Here is an old experiment I dug up for the last part. Read the second page, gives a thorough introduction.

I also have a choice to do this experiment can you please help ?

Has the depolarization started or finished in the ventricles when the av valves close? what is the temporal relationship between the closure of the av valves and teh ventricular depolarization and repolarization.
iwanttoknow Author
wrote...
13 years ago

how to setup this experiment this is the alternative that i have
Has the depolarization started or finished in the ventricles when the av valves close? what is the temporal relationship between the closure of the av valves and teh ventricular depolarization and repolarization.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
What is the temporal relationship between the closure of the av valves and teh ventricular depolarization and repolarization.

Look back at that image I uploaded earlier (ECG). The Q-T interval represents ventricular depolarization and repolarization. So I suppose you could set it up the same way you did the other one by connecting the equipment to your finger and analyze the changes in time.

See attachment,

ps dont stress out so much Face with Stuck-out Tongue
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
13 years ago
So what ended up happening?? Neutral Face
iwanttoknow Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thank you for your help,

The experiment went pretty well. i got good readings but i am not sure about one thing, for this question

How long does it take for the systolic pressure wave to reach the tip of the finger?

am i suppose to subtract the bump of wave that reach the tip of the finger (the reading took from the finger tip reader ) from the ekg of heart qrs end time?
I mean what should i specifically subtract from what to get the time i need? thank you
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Exactly, if there are time intervals being recorded, you can subtract from one of the aforementioned intervals in the first ecg wave to the other, since each complete wave represents one beat.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I will also look up my old lab and upload it if you need it. I remember doing something similar to this years ago.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1218 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion