g
j
mkshawty mkshawty
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
i have attached a photo to help answer the questions

a) Write the following genotypes for individuals 1-1, 1-2, 11-4, and 111-1
b) If 11-1 and 11-2 have a son, what is the probability that the son will have red-green colour blindness?
c) If couple 11-7 and 11-8 have a son, what is the probability that the son will have red-green colour blindness?
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 1570 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Red-green colour blindness is an x-linked recessive trait.

Hence, a male must have the mutant copy of the gene to be red-green colour blind, and the female must have 2 copies of the mutant gene to be red-green colour blind. Knowing this, we can fill out the pedigree chart.

Here are the genotypes:

I-1: Yx (affected)
I-2: Xx (1. not affected so has one dominant normal allele. 2. heterozygous/carrier because one female progeny and both male progeny are affected.)

II-1: YX (not affected)
II-2,4,6: Xx (1. not affected so has one dominant normal allele from mother. 2.heterozygous/carrier because inherited one recessive mutant allele from father.)
II-3,5: Yx (affected so inherited one recessive mutant allele from mother.)
II-7: xx (affected so inherited one copy of recessive mutant allele from each parent.)
II-8: YX (not affected)

III-1: Xx (not affected so inherited one copy of dominant normal X allele from father.)

So now, let's answer the questions:

a. I-I is Yx. The other three are Xx

b. II-1 crossed with II-2 = YX crossed with Xx. (So for a male progeny, we only have the following two possibilities: YX, Yx.
For the son to be affected, he must inherit the x mutant allele from the mother and the probability of that is 50%.

c. II-7 crossed with II-8 = xx crossed with YX. (So for a male progeny, we only have the following possibility: Yx)
Hence, there is a 100% chance that their son will be affected.

Hope this helps!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1762 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 484

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?