i
r
r
bio_man bio_man
wrote...
Administrator
Educator
13 years ago
This article talks about stem cell-derived ingredients being put into makeup and skin products and being sold on the market in Korea.

Some of the ingredients include stem cell culture fluids. This not only sounds nasty, it has the potential to spread HIV or hepatitis viruses.

I believe the use of stem-cell culture fluids has many negative bioethical implications. Firstly, whenever the word stem-cell is used, there is always some kind of halo around it, as if it holds the secrets to all of life's problems. People then buy into without realizing the consequences of placing stem-cell fluids extracted from some unnamed place on their faces in hopes of looking young.

In fact, the article also states that the stem-cell culture fluid used in these products, are extracted from adult stem cells that are extracted from fat tissue removed in liposuction surgery at hospitals - that description in itself is enough for to be disgusted permanently.

This is how companies are advertising these products: "A noncontroversial source of stem cells derived from nature’s own river of eternal youth.”

Article can be found: http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2917887
Read 1356 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
I'm interested to find out if these anti-aging cosmetics can perform. I don't see anything wrong with using the chemicals released by stem cells to potentially slow cell growth.

Although, I can see how it may sound disgusting if you think of stem cells as fat tissue or umbilical cord fluid  Face with Rolling Eyes However, I just think of stem cells, as special cells, with unlimited possibilities to cure diseases, and possibly even minimizing the effects of aging.

However, there should definitely be stringent testing to ensure that there are no serious side effects.
B.Sc. (Biology)
wrote...
13 years ago
Seems a little weird that stem cell culture fluid would even be allowed to be used in such market products when its effect/benefit doesn't seem to be fully understood. While I see the definite need for regulatory reworking, I think it's important that consumers do their own research on products they are interested in purchasing, especially ones that claim to have anti-aging properties because those products are typically pricey, and see for themselves exactly what it is they're putting on their face and what it will do for them.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1252 People Browsing
 119 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?