a
t
i
r
09mohamf 09mohamf
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
13 years ago
What type of sleep-related breathing disorder could be diagnosed by using the re-breathing procedure that you performed in activity 3? Explain your answer. (7 marks)

So for the rebreathing procedure, the key point is that CO2 levels rose. I want to say sleep apnea (obstructive) because these patients wake up at the middle of the night and gasp for air (air that they have been expiring) and so at this moment PC02 levels rise and PO2 levels decrease. But for a seven mark question, what else could I possibly include?

Thanks in advance
Read 7914 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
09mohamf Author
wrote...
13 years ago
or would this have to do with Ondine's curse? In this disease, autonomic control of breathing is absent so there is no ventilatory response to hypercapnia (increased C02 levels seen in rebreathing). I am just stuck to witch answer is the correct one. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Lab 10, activity 3:

Activity 3: Rebreathing (p. 133)

1. at 20 seconds, pH = about 7.35 at 40 seconds, pH = about 7.3 at 60 seconds, pH = about 7.25

5. Yes, the pH level of the blood decreased over time. No, the pH level was not always within the normal range. The pH value began to dip below the normal range between 20 and 30 seconds — as soon as it was below 7.35. This indicated the condition of acidosis. Yes, the PCO2 level increased over time.

You would expect the renal system to compensate for acidosis by excreting [H+] and retaining bicarbonate in order to raise the blood pH levels back to within normal range. The rebreathing trace had slightly higher peaks and valleys than the normal breathing trace. The tidal volumes were also larger in the rebreathing trace. Respiratory problems that would result in lowered pH values and higher PCO2 levels include lung disease and airway obstruction—anything that impairs breathing.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
09mohamf Author
wrote...
13 years ago
So sleep apnea would be the correct answer?
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
So sleep apnea would be the correct answer?

During sleep apnea, breathing is restricted, which builds up pressure in your airways. Do your results fit this mechanism?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
09mohamf Author
wrote...
13 years ago
well PCO2 levels increased and blood pH levels decreased...
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
well PCO2 levels increased and blood pH levels decreased...

Good point, duddy. They should, because oxygen levels are decreasing. The higher the CO2 content, the more acidic blood becomes.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1202 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292