a
t
i
r
lucihelen lucihelen
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hello, I am writing an essay on the affects of climate change on bacterial adaptations, and I am looking at recent outbreaks of the Vibrio species. I have looked at vibrio cholerae, with the emergence of 01 El Tor and 0139 strains, and also V. parahaemolyticus with the emergence of 03:K6 and 04:K11 strains. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on:
a). how these new strains emerged, how did they come to be?
b). how this could have been affected by climate change? Apart from the fact that it can create more favourable conditions (I have already covered this)
Thank you very much!
Read 256 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
a). how these new strains emerged, how did they come to be?

It's a natural phenomenon. Some strains of bacteria emerge due to the exposure of antibiotics, for instance. It depends on where the species grows and many other factors, so it's difficult to pinpoint a specific reason. If there is research dedicated to studying the genomes of these different strains of V. parahaemolyticus, I suggest studying what those researchers have found specifically - every other reason is speculation.

b). how this could have been affected by climate change? Apart from the fact that it can create more favourable conditions (I have already covered this)

Thogether with the increase of global average temperatures, changes in patterns of precipitation and runoff are expected which may lead to a consequent reduction in the salinity of estuaries and coastal wetlands. Many marine bacterial pathogens of relevance to human health grow preferentially above 15 °C and a salinity below 25 ppt NaCl. Among these are Vibrios. They cause various infections in humans, ranging from cholera to gastroenteritis-like symptoms, from eating raw or undercooked shellfish or from exposure to seawater.
Source  http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate1628.html
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1257 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?