s
a
t
i
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
A week ago
How can smokers alter neural connections to alleviate addiction cravings when trying to quit, given that non-smokers find cigarette smoke unpleasant while smokers, due to nicotine addiction, find smoking pleasurable and addictive because addiction is rooted in reinforced messages within the brain's neural network?
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions Slight Smile
Read 74 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A week ago
Here's my understanding. Nicotine acts on nicotinic cholinergic receptors, which are found in the central nervous system, autonomic ganglia, the neuromuscular junction, as well as in several non-neuronal tissues. When nicotine acts on these receptors, it triggers the release of neurotransmitters that produce psychoactive effects that are rewarding. With repeated exposure, tolerance develops to many of the effects of nicotine, thereby reducing its primary reinforcing effects and inducing physical dependence (i.e., withdrawal symptoms in the absence of nicotine). Other factors that influence smoking behavior include age, sex, genetics, mental illness, and substance abuse.

Now, smoking behavior is influenced (apart from pharmacologic feedback) by environmental factors such as smoking cues, friends who smoke, stress, and product advertising. Therefore, the first step to quitting or changing one's behavior is by altering the environment you are that's leading to the compulsion. If you ask most long-term smokers, they'll tell you they hate the smell of cigarette smoke and the impact it has made to their health. Just as non-smokers find the smell unpleasant, as do smokers, so that's not enough to get them to stop - it goes beyond this feeling of disgust unfortunately.

Remember that nicotine induces pleasure and reduces stress and anxiety. Thus, smoking a cigarette it literally the happiest moment for an addict who is addicted to nicotine. In fact, smoking improves concentration, reaction time, and performance of certain tasks. Not smoking when your body is calling for it causes the emergence of withdrawal symptoms: irritability, depressed mood, restlessness, and anxiety. The intensity of these mood disturbances is similar to that found in psychiatric outpatients.

Hope it helps!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2928221/
oemBiology Author
wrote...
6 days ago Edited: 6 days ago, oemBiology
Here's my understanding. Nicotine acts on nicotinic cholinergic receptors, which are found in the central nervous system, autonomic ganglia, the neuromuscular junction, as well as in several non-neuronal tissues. When nicotine acts on these receptors, it triggers the release of neurotransmitters that produce psychoactive effects that are rewarding. With repeated exposure, tolerance develops to many of the effects of nicotine, thereby reducing its primary reinforcing effects and inducing physical dependence (i.e., withdrawal symptoms in the absence of nicotine).  

I would like to know on whether willpower is possible to suppress this psychoactive effects or not, what is mechanism between physical dependence and willpower? which fight each other within body?
Is there any related articles about on how willpower affects on our body? such as this issue as example

Any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
5 days ago
There are a lot of articles on this subject. The best free articles I found are those linked below.

Strong-willed but not successful: The importance of strategies in recovery from addiction

Addiction and free will

Alcoholism and the Loss of Willpower

Free Will and the Brain Disease Model of Addiction: The Not So Seductive Allure of Neuroscience and Its Modest Impact on the Attribution of Free Will to People with an Addiction
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1322 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4