x
r
m
j
c
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
9 years ago
If John tell the truth, Mary are more likely to trust John next time.
If John lie to Mary, Mary are less likely to trust John next time.

It seems that distrust is more easily to build up than trust, so
If John lie to Mary once, maybe John need to tell the truth more than 2 or 3 times in order to make Mary to trust John again.

I would like to know on how this "trust" process works in term of building up the trust in brain processing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 670 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Cool question!

If John lie to Mary once, maybe John need to tell the truth more than 2 or 3 times in order to make Mary to trust John again.

Sounds to me like a regain in trust.

According to Barbara Misztal, in her book - Trust in Modern Societies - she mentions that trust is important because it makes social life predictable, it creates a sense of community, and it makes it easier for people to work together.

Generally, there are three different forms of trust. Trust is being vulnerable to someone even when they are trustworthy; trustworthiness are the characteristics or behaviors of one person that inspire positive expectations in another person, and trust propensity being able to rely on people. Once trust is lost, by obvious violation of one of these three determinants, it is very hard to regain. Thus there is clear asymmetry in the building versus destruction of trust. Hence being and acting trustworthy should be considered the only sure way to maintain a trust level.

I think what you're looking for is research that puts the notion of trust in light - a social experiment. Everything else is mere speculation. I'm sure you can find such studies conducted in the past, but it might be hard.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, oem7110
For memory aspect, I would like to know on whether those information (Lie / Truth) stays within long-term or short-term memory based on following questions.

What is the key factor letting information into long-term memory?

How long does it take to build up long-term memory?
How long does it take to remove long-term memory?

How long does it take to build up short-term memory?
How long does it take to remove short-term memory?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
9 years ago
Most memory is formed when the experience affects our survival. For example, if a child touches a hot stove, it injures their hand. Next time the child will not touch the hot stove since he/she knows it is harmful. A set of interconnected brain structures, known as the limbic system, that is located below the cerebral cortex and is involved in such functions as memory formation and the processing of emotional surprises has a lot to do with this, since experiences are tied with one's emotions - a child crying over an injured finger.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Most memory is formed when the experience affects our survival. For example, if a child touches a hot stove, it injures their hand. Next time the child will not touch the hot stove since he/she knows it is harmful. A set of interconnected brain structures, known as the limbic system, that is located below the cerebral cortex and is involved in such functions as memory formation and the processing of emotional surprises has a lot to do with this, since experiences are tied with one's emotions - a child crying over an injured finger.

Memory is related to strong emotion, if I want to change those set of interconnected brain structures, what should I do? In my case, if John lie to Mary, and Mary gets a broken heart, what should John do to regain trust from Mary? and how many time John needs to do it in order to regain her trust?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
In my case, if John lie to Mary, and Mary gets a broken heart, what should John do to regain trust from Mary? and how many time John needs to do it in order to regain her trust?

psyche360 makes a good point. In order to regain trust in John, he must try to tap into Mary's emotional circuitry, perhaps by saving her life somehow to show that he plays a role in her survival.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  973 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 484

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?