c
p
M
a
selfstudy selfstudy
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Mutational changes were induced in a single codon in the gene of T4 phage. The following amino acid substitutions were observed. By following the base changes in the codons, determine the codon for each mutant. Assume each amino acid substitution resulted from a single base substitution. Codons for several amino acids are provided. UAG, UAA, and UGA are stop codons. No additional information is required to solve this problem (from Fristrom and Clegg, Principle of Genetics. 1988)

Normal :
Mutant A: UGG
Mutant B:
Mutant C:
Mutant D:
Mutant E:

See the attachment for a copy of the chart...

PLEASE SHOW OR EXPLAIN HOW YOU GOT TO YOUR ANSWER
 Attached file 
(32.48 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 2884 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
this one is super tough.  why the attachment?
selfstudy Author
wrote...
12 years ago
this one is super tough.  why the attachment?

Comes as part of the question, but I actually think it goes with a different problem.

Know how to work this one??
wrote...
11 years ago
I never did this before, but it looks like fun so let's give it a try. Slight Smile

We are told the following:
A. Each amino acid substitution resulted from a single base substitution.
B. Mutant A has the codon UGG.

Let's start with Mutant A:
We know its codon sequence is UGG. Hence, the normal codon sequence will be only one base pair different. The only possibility that codes for serine and fits this rule is UCG.

Next, let's figure out Mutant B:
We are told that Mutant B codes for leucine. By looking at the protein translation chart, we know there are only 6 possibilities:   UUA UUG CUU CUC CUA CUG

However, we also know that Mutant B must be only one base substitution away from the normal protein and mutant A. The only codon sequence that fits is: UUG

Let's figure out Mutant E next:
We are told that Mutant E codes for valine. There are 4 possibilities from the protein translation chart: GUU GUC GUA GUG. Of these, only a single possibility is one base substitution away from Mutant B. That would be GUG.

Let's figure out Mutant D next:
Mutant D codes for glycine. The 4 possibilities are: GGU GGG GGA GGC. Of these, only a single possibility is one base substitution away from Mutant E. That would be GGG.

Finally, let's figure out Mutant C:
Mutant C codes for arginine. There are two possibilities that are one base substitution away from Mutant A and Mutant D. Those are CGG and AGG.  This is where I get "stuck" between choosing one mutation over the other without more information.

Hope this is correct. Slight Smile

bio_man,  duddy,  gingerl
selfstudy Author
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, selfstudy
What is the codon for the normal?

Post Merge: 11 years ago
And could you actually do a new chart for how it should look??

Normal : ?
Mutant A: ?
Mutant B: ?
Mutant C: ?
Mutant D: ?
Mutant E: ?
wrote...
11 years ago
@selfstudy: I posted the answers to your question above (do a "refresh" on this thread if you don't see my post.)

Cheers! Slight Smile
selfstudy Author
wrote...
11 years ago
@selfstudy: I posted the answers to your question above (do a "refresh" on this thread if you don't see my post.)

Cheers! Slight Smile

Sorry, but it will not let me refresh!! Could you copy and past it into a new reply or direct message it to me?? Thanks!
selfstudy Author
wrote...
11 years ago
@colleen  I was asking if he could put it in chart form..plus the normal codon wasn't given

Seriously...CHILL OUT
wrote...
11 years ago
@colleen  I was asking if he could put it in chart form..plus the normal codon wasn't given

Seriously...CHILL OUT

I believe Colleen was merely bemused by your inability to view my original post (as was I.)

And the codon sequence for the 'normal' amino acid was, indeed, listed in my original post.

Anyway, since you don't want to read or deal with the reasoning to the answers above, here they are in 'chart form',

Normal : UCG
Mutant A: UGG
Mutant B: UUG
Mutant C: AGG or CGG
Mutant D: GGG
Mutant E: GUG

Hope that helps. Slight Smile
selfstudy Author
wrote...
11 years ago
I did read/deal with the post above...Just trying to make sure I was getting the right answer.

Thanks for helping though.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1082 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 81