a
t
i
r
UmiNoTriton95 UmiNoTriton95
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Lafora Disease and Tay Sachs Disease are characterized by abnormal storage disorders within the nueron cells resulting in a phenotype of rapid intellectual decline and siezures. But the difference is which cehimical is disroderd? While Lafora is caused by a plant like starch, which is dangerous for humans, Tay-Sachs is caused by a dangerous buildup of lipids in the nerves. Age of onset is different for disorders, while Tay-Sachs happens in infants, Lafora happens in preteen and teenage years. Both result in rapid decline of physical and mental function to the point of death within a few years after onset. I used to think Lafora is Alziehmers for Teens but because the biology is different and the decline in Lafora is much more rapid and severe and death happens much quicker than in Alziehmers, I changed my mind. Now I kind of see Lafora as Tay-Sachs for Teens? Is it biologically appropiate based on dangerous chemical buildup in nerve cells?
Read 373 times
5 Replies