× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
symphonie2 symphonie2
wrote...
8 years ago
If you stand on a pair of bathroom scales, explain how the readings change as you shift your weight gradually from side to side. What rule governs the readings on the scale?
Read 709 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
Your center of mass (COM) probably being between your feet and somewhere up near the belly the momentum to keep you from falling (i.e. rotating around that center) to one or the other side comes from the forces the respective scales exert on your feet multiplied by the respective levers to your COM. Both levers being of the same length (i.e. you standing just above and between the scales you will have two identical forces and half your weight shown on each scale.

The scales being sufficiently horizontally positioned on the floor at a distance L+R (distance from left / right scale to COM and nearly identical to the levers to your COM if your legs are vertical to floor) you will see that the forces/weights shift around 50% each depending on the linear ratio of L versus R. I assume greater ratios produce more error due to genuflection and such.

I hope that was neither too theoretical nor too wordy.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
The sum of the weights on the scale equals the total weight.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1284 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?