× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
jrclark1971 jrclark1971
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hi, I'm wondering if i can go to a US medical school right after i get my  pre-med degree in st. George's university in Grenada. Of course I'll also do my MCATS.

I'm a Caribbean student that wishes to study in the US. I have completed CAPE (A level equivalent) but now I'm hearing that in order to get into a US med school you must have a pre-med degree.

Thank you for your help guys Slight Smile
Read 616 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You need a bachelors degree (not a pre-med degree) and you must have the pre-med requirements completed ( a med school web site will list them); then you can apply to med school.  Whether you get accepted or not, can't say.
wrote...
11 years ago
If you have a pre-med degree that should be fine to apply with as long as it is at the same level as a Bachelor's degree in the US. Most med schools in the US require applicants have a Bachelor's degree. You will need something like that along with these classes:

?General Chemistry
?Organic Chemistry
?Physics
?Biology
?Math(calculus)
?English/Humanities
?Biochemistry

Like you said, you also need to do well on the MCAT(aim for a 30R or above), extracurriculars, and experience in the medical field such as volunteering and shadowing physicians. Possibly any research if you're interested in that.

This is what US med school applicants will have completed and it's what you need to compete with them.
wrote...
11 years ago
Why don't you try St george medical school. It is one of the best med schools in the region and then you can do your rotations and residency in U.S. But, as for your question, I believe you can as long as you have a good GPA, typically 3.3-3.7 range for the schools here and you have taken the MCAT, and you have at least 90 units of college credits including your pre-med requirements
2 semesters general chemistry with lab
2 semester organic chemistry with lab
2 semesters of biology with lab
2 semester of physics with lab
2 semesters English with lab

Good luck
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1255 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?