t
S
m
s
monster monster
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I'm mostly interested in hearing from any doctors or residents who graduated from AUC, St. George's, Ross, or Saba. How is working in residency with U.S. graduates? How about after residency? Do other professionals care that you went to a non-U.S Med-school? Do hospitals treat you differently? Is there noticeable discrimination in other doctor's attitudes towards you because of where you went to school?
Also, for U.S. Docs, do you feel that Caribbean Medical schools are inferior? Would you prefer working with a U.S. educated Doc over a Caribbean educated Doc?
Read 389 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The only reason that people go to Caribbean med schools is because they could not get accepted into a US med school, and everyone knows that.

I went to a US school, and know of a few Caribbean grads who seem to be OK as physicians.  I'd think twice before hiring one, though.
wrote...
11 years ago
Well, if you want an opinion from a non-MD then here it is.  The perception  is that those schools are inferior.  That perception is shared by medical and non-medical people.  Perception can be changed over time.  I would say a doctor from another country always has to prove himself/herself to peers and patients.  Justified or not, unfamiliarity breeds distrust.  
I'm a pharmacist in a teaching hospital.  I see tons of MDs from everywhere  on the globe.  What matters is their knowledge base, skill, ability to learn, work ethic, etc....  

I really have little bias from the medical, non-MD side.
wrote...
11 years ago
I had one diagnose prostatitis in a female.  They are a bit weak. I don't trust them. So- yes there is a general perception that their training is not up to US standards.  The admission criteria are pretty lax as well, so folks who could never get into a US school get in.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1032 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274