j
j
l
d
y
firework6 firework6
wrote...
12 years ago
Hydrogen and Iodine are examples of them.  What are the rest of them though?  What is it called when elements always have a 2 as their subscript when written alone?
Read 467 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
They are called diatomics...bromine, chlorine, nitrogen, fluorine
wrote...
12 years ago
There is no rule as to which elements have a 2 as their subscript when written alone. There are some elements that are diatomic in their standard states, the form they exist in at 298 K and 1 atm, such as H2(g) for hydrogen or I2(s) for iodine. These are the forms most commonly seen in chemical equations. Note that the standard state specifies both the allotropic form of the element (the subscript) and its state of matter (solid, liquid, or gas). However, it is perfectly acceptable for monatomic forms of these elements, such as H(g) or I(g), to appear in chemical reaction mechanisms. For instance, a reaction mechanism may involve sublimation of I2(s) to I2(g), followed by dissociation of I2(g) to 2I(g), followed by reaction of I(g) with another species. Nevertheless, there is a well-defined list of elements that are known to be diatomic *in their standard state*. These are: H, F, Cl, Br, I, O, and N.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1511 People Browsing
 130 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 559