t
i
r
r
darwinshuffle darwinshuffle
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
realistically speaking I know that Einstein discovery was great  his theory of relativity is unprecedented but so is the work of newton and Maxwell at their respective times. what Einstein did was to sort of unified Newton's and Maxwell's theories + answering the problems that this two previous theories failed to address. you can kind of say that hawking did a similar thing with Einstein's equations by trying to figure out what happens inside and how black holes work. Now realistically speaking in my opinion hawking  is smarter because hawking can't speak or have the advantage of writing down equations. hawking works them out in his head. and physiscs equations (when it comes to this kind of advance physics) are long and complicated tell me your take on this.
Read 621 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Difficult to compare them, as some of Hawking's findings are based on work done earlier by Einstein. Having a better memory (something he was forced to cultivate because of his disabilities) doesn't make one smarter, but making creative and constructive ue of that ability is certainly an achievement.
wrote...
11 years ago
Einstein, without a doubt.

Hawking would not feature in the physics top 10 list of most working physicists.
wrote...
11 years ago
You do know Professor Hawking wasn't always bound to his wheelchair and did most of his work when his body was still working.

I don't think it's fair to say one person is smarter than another because the only way we have to decide who is smarter is by IQ and that is a flawed system but if you want to base your judgement on a system we know to be flawed:

Einstein's IQ was estimated to be 160
Hawking's IQ is estimated to be 160

Both are estimations because Einstein never took an IQ test and Hawking doesn't believe in them but I have to agree with Hawking when he says those who boast about their IQ are losers.
wrote...
11 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_on_the_shoulders_of_giants

Each stood on the shoulders of giants.  Each made and makes important contributions to the field.  Each was challenged to show some of their personal philosophy, and stupidly (in my opinion) provided it.

It isn't a matter of "who is smarter", but who can help Mankind survive the next 100 or so years.

Every one of us had to learn to express through untrained meat, in order to get to where we are now, not to belittle the struggle Hawking has.  The real pain is in having that meat fall away, and being robbed of abilities.  I would guess he misses being able to draw on a white board...
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1268 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372