Best program ever on TV
qew
wrote...
12 years ago
Brilliant. Love it!
Ame
wrote...
12 years ago
My interpretation on the formation of the universe is that as far a negative energy/matter is formed in the same quantity as the positive ones ( the ones that formed our universe ) so that they sum up zero, then the initial little ‘seed’ of positive/negative energy/matter formation can go on, probably, forever. This might explain why we are still expanding even today.

But there is a logical contradiction in relation to time. Any action/movement only takes place in time. The ‘spark’ that started the formation of the universe is an action. But if there was not time then this action could not happen.

We should take in account that this hypothesis of the beginning of the universe, although is the most known, is not the only one. There are also other hypotheses competing with it. For instance, I seem to recollect that, in some of the competing hypotheses, time was not equal zero in the beginning. If so, it immediately eliminates this apparent contradiction.

For instance, in the Multiverse hypothesis, our universe was created through a collision between the ‘membranes’ of two other universes which were part of an immense ‘foamy’ ocean of universes. Obviously, under this hypothesis, in the beginning, time was not equal zero because our universe would be the result of a collision between two other universes. Collision is an action and therefore time was present.

However, I have a hypothesis ( that I just imagined ) that might help to explain the most ‘popular’ model. Perhaps, in the same way that at the quantum level, matter ( sub-particles ) and energy can continuously appear and disappear, TIME COULD ALSO DO THAT. If so, even if time was zero for a moment, it could suddenly become different from zero. And this would be more than sufficient to trigger the formation of the universe from just a little quantum ‘seed’ of matter or energy and then time would keep ‘running’ with virtually no-stop.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Did God Create the Universe? Yes. There's more to this universe then things being created out of nothing. Yes + 1 - 1 = 0, and that we can use this thinking to make sense of space and matter, but there has to be more than that, either-wise life if pointless, everything we do it pointless.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
My interpretation on the formation of the universe is that as far a negative energy/matter is formed in the same quantity as the positive ones ( the ones that formed our universe ) so that they sum up zero, then the initial little ‘seed’ of positive/negative energy/matter formation can go on, probably, forever. This might explain why we are still expanding even today.

But there is a logical contradiction in relation to time. Any action/movement only takes place in time. The ‘spark’ that started the formation of the universe is an action. But if there was not time then this action could not happen.

We should take in account that this hypothesis of the beginning of the universe, although is the most known, is not the only one. There are also other hypotheses competing with it. For instance, I seem to recollect that, in some of the competing hypotheses, time was not equal zero in the beginning. If so, it immediately eliminates this apparent contradiction.

For instance, in the Multiverse hypothesis, our universe was created through a collision between the ‘membranes’ of two other universes which were part of an immense ‘foamy’ ocean of universes. Obviously, under this hypothesis, in the beginning, time was not equal zero because our universe would be the result of a collision between two other universes. Collision is an action and therefore time was present.

However, I have a hypothesis ( that I just imagined ) that might help to explain the most ‘popular’ model. Perhaps, in the same way that at the quantum level, matter ( sub-particles ) and energy can continuously appear and disappear, TIME COULD ALSO DO THAT. If so, even if time was zero for a moment, it could suddenly become different from zero. And this would be more than sufficient to trigger the formation of the universe from just a little quantum ‘seed’ of matter or energy and then time would keep ‘running’ with virtually no-stop.

No. According to quantum mechanics something can happen from nothing. No time, no space, no matter/energy. It is still zero right now, collectively.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Ame
wrote...
12 years ago
Duddy, that is why the initial little quantum 'seed' of matter/ energy suddenly materialized and triggered the formation of the universe. It came from 'nothing' ( others prefer to call it quantum foam ). Probably, the same happened also with time. It also suddenly appeared from 'nothing'.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
An interesting video. I'll have to watch it again. But, we can understand that gravity slows time and immense gravity will make time cease. So we can understand that time has to begin at the moment the universe creates itself. However, I do have trouble with something from nothing. But I think that's my brain not putting all these concepts together.
- Bachelor of Science
Ame
wrote...
12 years ago
Duddy, I do not think that the physical 'nothing' is really nothing. It might not really be what we perceive it to be with our limited senses and instruments.
wrote...
12 years ago
It also suddenly appeared from 'nothing'.

Sorry, Ame, but that's pathetic.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
If we take a particle and an anti-particle and put them together we end up with nothing. Both cease to exist.

If we take a electrical voltage of 1 and we connect it to another voltage of one we end up with a zero voltage.

I imagine there are a lot of ways to get nothing outside of pure math.

We do know that anti-particles do appear from nothing all the time.

Sorry, Ame, but that's pathetic.

@dmorg - According to quantum mechanics protons do appear from nothing all the time.

- Bachelor of Science
Ame
wrote...
12 years ago
Adrian, this ( matter and energy being apparently produced out of ‘empty space’ ) is not just what I say. It is what physicists observe in their labs.

The only thing that I maybe original on saying is that time also could pop in and out. And I said that it was a HYPOTHESIS, therefore not a fact. To become a scientific fact this hypothesis ( or any other ) should be tested experimentally and exhaustively and confirmed.

Furthermore you missed the fact that I put the word ‘nothing’ between quotes, precisely because the physicists’ ‘nothing’ is not really nothing. It is made up of stuff that we do not know much about. For instance, ‘empty space’ constantly produces particles of matter and anti-matter, therefore it cannot be real nothing.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
(Genesis 2 something)

hahah I love the reference.
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1165 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741