× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
julie julie
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm a Mechanical Engineering major and for the spring semester at my school I will be taking Calculus 3, Differential Equations, Physics 1 (Mechanics), and a computer methods class.  I already took a statics class as well as an AutoCad class.  During summer, after the spring semester, I plan to take a dynamics class, mechanics of deformable bodies class, and another physics class.  The two engineering classes will be taken during the first 6 week session and the Physics class (Electricity and Magnetism) will take place throughout the second 6 week session.  I was just wondering if it will be tough to do physics during summer.  I want to be able to grasp the concept as it is a prerequisite for an electrical circuits class.  I found Statics and Calculus 2 rather easy. I was hoping I could get some insight from engineering students that have been in a similar situations or have taken Electricity and Magnetism before.  By the way, I go to a school that 's broken up into semesters rather than the typical quarter system.  I would really appreciate an answer.
Thanks for your response.  As for the mechanics class.  The prerequisite is the statics class which I've met already.  I guess it is doable.  What I'm going to do is probably read the book (the sections) ahead of time.
Read 427 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
If your school offers it, go for it. Electricity and Magnetism shouldn't be that hard, after all, it's only a 100-level course, at least at most schools it is. I'm surprised your school offers Dynamics and Mechanics of Materials in the summer--I wish I had that option! But if you feel you can handle the course load, go for it. If you can tackle Statics, Dynamics, Calculus, then E&M should be cake--don't sweat it, it's just a freshman level physics course. My only question is if you can take Dynamics concurrent with Mechanics of Materials--some places have Dynamics as a prerequisite--I'd check on that first.

It's almost split this way, though--either you like the mechanics and kinematics side of physics, or you favor electricity and magnetism. It's pretty much why some people are aces at Mechanical Engineering but bottom out in their E&M physics class and their "shocks for jocks" EE for non-EE majors class, and why some folks are aces at Electrical Engineering but dreaded their kinematics/mechanics portion of physics and stay away from ME courses like the plague. So I wouldn't sweat it if you take E&M and find it not as pleasant--just pass the course so you can take the next course needing it as a prerequisite. But judging by how you feel about the other courses you've taken, E&M should be cake. You'll be fine.

Also to note--most schools actually function on semesters nowadays. Quarters are disappearing as more schools switch to semesters. Been through quarters, hated it, semesters just make more sense.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1277 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204