a
t
i
r
J_ferritto J_ferritto
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hey everyone, so I am a 15 yr old, and currently a Sophomore in High School. After high school I am hoping to major in nursing. Oh before I really ask my question, here is a piece of information that you all may want to know, I am going to a magnet school (vo-tech) to get my CNA. Now onto the question. What would be the best to do? Should I go to community college and transfer to the university I want to go to after two years? Or go to the University I desire to go to? I want to get a masters degree one day, but I heard that an ADN and BSN degree pay around the same, and if there is a raise it is only by half a dollar or less. I am only asking because it is time for me to get serious and think about my future, because in reality, next fall (Fall 2012) I will be applying to colleges. Lastly, for my Senior year I get to do Dual- Enrollment, which means I do half a day of high school and college at my local community college. I can also start going to college next winter too if I take my ACT's. You have to be 16 to start CC. Lastly, there is a program at my local CC and it offers an ADN to a masters degree for students who don't have a BSN.
Read 1840 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
At your age, I would strongly encourage you to go straight for a BSN program- whether you take some prereqs at CC and then transfer to a university or start with taking your very first college class at the university. Getting dual credits is a great idea, too.

Now, the highest degree a CC offers is an Associates, and since your CC offers a "bridge to Masters"- it is more of a local college than a community college....otherwise they couldn't being offering Bachelors or Masters degrees. That being the case, why not get the BSN there  instead of transferring to a university (where I would guess you had to live on campus instead of commuting?) It would likely be more cost-effective and have less distractions.
stk
wrote...
11 years ago
You're so ambitious, good for you! (: I'm a Freshman in College going for a Masters in Nursing (: I chose to go to a Community College first and then transfer to University, for many reasons. Community College is a lot cheaper and they are the exact same classes the University offers. Also, going straight to University can be really overwhelming, some of my friends went to University right after high school and have decided to switch over to community college because it's too much. So I'd say go to Community College first, it's cheaper, less stressful and I think it's a great transition; High school->Community College->University. I hope I helped, Good luck! (:
wrote...
11 years ago
You should probably go to an University for the BSN... if you have good grades you can get scholarships 75% or 100% + hopefully some financial aid low income and you are set. with 75% + low income i was getting money back payed my books and summer semesters. I live in FL and currently hospitals dont want to recruit new lpns and people with adns are being "encouraged" to enroll in BSN programs.
wrote...
11 years ago
I would go to the community college to get any pre-requisites completed before enrolling in a BSN program at a university.  Many employers today will only accept a bachelor's degrees as the minimum educational requirement before hiring you.  If you decide to go back to school after a bachelor's degree, then you wouldn't have to complete as much coursework for an advanced practice degree like an NP or NA.
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, biobio
An ADN degree will just do fine. You are most likely to get hired sooner or later due to the unsatisfied demand in Nursing Practice in U.S. We are recruiting Nurses from out of state such as Philippines, Vietnam and granting them with Green Cards and much more benefits to satisfy the Nursing demand. There is also approximately 1.00 USD salary difference hourly between an ADN and a BSN Nurse. I personally think start with ADN get your license and finish your BSN or further while you are making the big bucks.
MSN, BSN programs for ADN nurses are all over the place and majority of them are online.
Finish your pre-reqs make sure you ACE all of your science classes. Get a good TEAS, HESI  what ever enterance test is and apply, apply, apply.

Finish an ADN program in 18 months and progress further while you are working.

But at the end these are just my thoughts and I encourage you to sit down with an academic adviser and get more clear answers to your questions.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1317 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204