i
m
s
c
k
lgeffen lgeffen
wrote...
11 years ago
I am interested in becoming a medical examiner, however I hear that its best to major in forensic biology, chemistry, etc for a Bachelor's before getting a master's and PhD in forensic science. What are the top universities I should aim for (in both US and Canada)? Also, as a high school student going into junior year, what volunteer/programs/etc should I participate in to get more experience? I'm taking a forensic science elective next year...but I want to do more than just that.
I have already "used my PC" to search up more info on forensic science. I wanted to also hear the views of other people, with more experience in this area than me- since, after all, not everything can be accessed through the internet. Also, I don't watch TV so I have never seen CSI before....o.o
Also, I've tried talking with my counselor before, but s/he isn't very helpful..
Read 480 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
buffzyzz Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Ah, I see the CSI Miami effect is alive and well.

Frankly, if you were serious about this career, you'd be using the pc in front of you to do your own research.

Anyway, go speak with your high school careers teacher/adviser and ask the same questions. That's why he/she is there.
wrote...
11 years ago
It's great that you don't watch CSI, because it isn't an accurate perception of the experiences of real life forensic professionals.
Becoming a medical examiner requires obtaining a bachelors degree in the sciences, bio, chem, biochemistry, etc.. then either pursuing medical school or as you mentioned a masters and a doctorate degree in forensic science, forensic toxicology, forensic pathology, or the general toxicology programs. I think you've done great research thus far and already know the path you should take.
What might also be helpful is to check out www.linkedin.com which has tons of groups where practicing forensic professionals go to discuss issues in the field, or to provide advise to people interested in pursuing a career in forensics. Try going here to seek a mentor is possible. I would also be glad to help answer any questions as well, as I have a new website www.forensicnexus.com which has a goal to educate people about how to pursue a career in their field of choice. There is a section that lists organizations and programs that offer degrees specific to forensics.
Good luck and I wish you the best in your journey!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1098 People Browsing
 154 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 422