I
k
j
o
mike13m mike13m
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
for example List all possible genotypes for the human ABO blood groups, and indicate the phenotype for each.
I think that would help clarify my question.
Read 670 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
gentoype:  AA   /Phenotype:  A
AB   /    AB
AO   /    A
BB   /    B
BO   /   B
OO   /    O

genotype is what alleles you have on your two chromosomes, phenotype is what the outside world can see as a trait
wrote...
11 years ago
The genotype is what kind of genes does it have. Like Tt ,where T is for tall, t is for short. So, the genotype would heterozygous tall.

Phenotype just describes the characteristic exhibited by the offspring. That would be that the offspring is "Tall".
wrote...
11 years ago
Genotypes: AA,AB,BB,AO,BO,OO
Phenotypes (respectively): type A blood, type AB blood, type B blood, type A blood, type B blood, type O.

not quite sure how the whole positive & negative thing works.
A is most dominant, then B, & O is most recessive.That's why AO is type A.

Also blood genotypes are typically expressed as "i" then with the letters as exponents. For example:
I^A I^A
would be "AA"
wrote...
11 years ago
As a clarification to ECR2121:  A is NOT dominate as a blood type.  They are co-dominant.  Hence why you get a blood type AB and not just A, as it would be if A was a dominant allele.

The reason A (or B for that matter) seems dominate over O is because O doesn't have the antigens associated with the others.  So someone who is OO doesn't have any sort of antigen.  But, if you bring in an A, then the A antigen is available and the O is negated.  hopefully that clears it up!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  955 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587