C
z
k
d
smilealways smilealways
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Are inbreeding and assortative mating consistent with the assumption of RANDOM mating of the Hardy Weinberg principle? Yes or no? Explain...give me a thorough explanation please...five stars to whoever does!
Thanks in advance
Read 353 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
No.  HW is just a statistical model, it's the same model you'd use for predicting the proportions of which jelly beans you'd pull out of a hat filled with an infinite number of jelly beans, or any other activity where you'd choose two items with two possibilities given known ratios.

Given that that's all it is, it cannot account for inbreeding or assortative mating, differential survival, limited population sizes, etc.
wrote...
12 years ago
Random mating means that every individual of the opposite sex in the population has an equal probability of becoming my mate.  If I mate only with close relatives, or with some other subgroup, then that is not the case, because some people have a greater chance of mating with me than others.  That equal probability is vital to the H-W statistical predictions.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  859 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372