a
t
i
r
stevepham stevepham
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
8 years ago
Hello guys, I've been thinking about DNA. I don't know what sort of information that DNA contains in a specific kind of cell. To make my question easier to understand, I would like to you a specific example to explain my question. Let's talk about DNA in hairs;

For examples DNA in hairs has "10 genes" (just to understand not true theory), so is it true:
1) that each of the 10 genes contains completely all of the information regarding hairs such as colors, thickness, smooth or not.?

or

2) that each of the 10 genes contains separate information. Like gene 1 : "color"; gene 2:" thickness"; gene 3 :"curly".

I would be grateful if someone could help me. I have found no key words to find answers to my questions Frowning Face

Read 521 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
There's some key definitions you need to understand:

The humans genome is a set of genetic information encoded in 46 chromosomes

Chromosomes are made of DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) inherited from parents (sperm contains one chromosome, oocyte contains another chromosome, when fertilization occurs the chromosomes create a full genome)

DNA name given to the long double helical structure because of it's composition (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) and is split up into areas called genes it's these genes that code for specific phenotypes (i.e. physical characteristics; hair colour, height, skin colour, blood type, predispositions to some diseases).

There is a process where some genes are 'turned on' and others 'turned off', or express at different levels, and some are more dominant then others, and mutations can occur creating alleles (variant form of genes) which is why we get a range of phenotypes in humans and we don't look like exact copies on our parents.

answered by:
www.altogenlabs.com
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1375 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4