a
t
i
r
buggingout16 buggingout16
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Please help. Can I use chromatography paper and put drops of the sugar alongside the lemonade drop and see which ones run up the paper? Help!! Thanks.
Read 659 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Lancenigo di Villorba (TV), Italy

===> QUESTION
How do I analyse which sugars are present in lemonade? (such as fructose, sucrose, glucose)?
Please help. Can I use chromatography paper and put drops of the sugar alongside the lemonade drop and see which ones run up the paper? Help!! Thanks.

===> LEMONADE
Lemonade differs by juice squeezed out by lemon-fruits, reader imagine that the nature of sugars contained in lemonade depend strongly on its feature : was fructose added in it? What about glucose and sucrose
The reader has to know that three cited sugars (fructose, sucrose, glucose) are related by the a chemical reaction known as BREAKING/MAKING OF GLYCOSIDIC BOND

Fructose + Glucose Leftwards Arrow-> Sucrose + Water

so he may think that lemonade is an acidic liquid which promotes the Hydrolysis of Sucrose (follow the leftward arrow) to make Fructose asides Glucose.
Moreover, the notation remembers that Hydrolysis obeys to reversible feature, then Sucrose stay besides Glucose and Fructose.

===> EXPERIMENTAL WAYs
Reader suggested an application of chromatographic separation on an appropriated support ; he has to remember that those three analytes haven't any colorations then CHROMATOGRAPHY CAN'T HIGHLIGHT ANY SEPARATION WHEN IT OCCURRED.
Now, reader has to study lemonade by several essays able to distinguish three sugars, he may look for the following ones :
Rightwards Arrow SCHIFF TEST, an appropriated reactant (sulphurous solution of Fuchsin) turns purples when it meet aldehydic compounds as Glucose is ;
Rightwards Arrow SELIWANOFF TEST, an acidic solution of Resorcinol get a sample of the analyte (lemonade) and this mixture has been warmed gently until it acquires dirty-reddish tint, there is Fructose if the change occurs faster than some minutes ;
Rightwards Arrow TEST ARE REPEATED ON A SECOND LOT OF LEMONADE WHICH HAS BEEN TREATED BY ACIDS THEN LONG WARMING, so when reader note a clear strenghtening of Schiff and Seliwanoff essays this suggest that there was also Sucrose which has been hydrolized by its largest part.

I hope this helps you.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1274 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586