t
i
r
ppk ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
12 years ago
Cancer is abnormal, uncontrolled cell division. What property of epithelial tissues makes them more prone to develop this condition?
Read 3487 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
Ali
wrote...
12 years ago
Cancer is generally due to a mutation in DNA. Usually, when the cell replicates, it must double its genetic material and thus, this is the period most prone to mutation. Since the epithelial cells undergo constant renewal ( in contrast to muscle or nerve tissue), then they have a constant high rate of replication -->higher possibility of mutation and thus cancer.. Plz note that this is only my interpretation and i am not sure 100% but this seems logical .. best regards
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Cancer is generally due to a mutation in DNA. Usually, when the cell replicates, it must double its genetic material and thus, this is the period most prone to mutation. Since the epithelial cells undergo constant renewal ( in contrast to muscle or nerve tissue), then they have a constant high rate of replication -->higher possibility of mutation and thus cancer.. Plz note that this is only my interpretation and i am not sure 100% but this seems logical .. best regards

Excellent response, but to keep it more simple, epithelial tissues contain a population of dividing cells, which divide at a moderate rate.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1292 People Browsing
Related Images