t
i
r
fisher 2012 fisher 2012
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
For the combustion of butane and oxygen:

Which statement about this reaction is not correct?

a. If the reverse reaction occurred, it would violate the first law of thermodynamics.
b. The reverse reaction requires a lot of energy and is, therefore, a nonspontaneous reaction.
c. The first law of thermodynamics applies to any related forward and reverse reactions.

i do not understand how the first law of thermo applies here, and the first law is in 2 of the answer choices
Read 369 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I can't answer this for you, but I would suggest you google thermodynamics and then look for the laws of such.  That may at least explain the question for you.

I have an oxybutane torch that I us on plastics, and the mix is more butane at first, but ends up mostly oxygen when I want it very very hot.  But I'm sure not a science major.

Some place else you may ask, is a welding supply store, they do know how gases interact in a flammable situation
wrote...
11 years ago
The forward reaction is very exothermic (that's why it is used for burning.

The reverse reaction would require a huge amount of heat.

So I would go with b
wrote...
11 years ago
seems to me that you answered your own question. if you dont think the first law of thermodynamics applies then you should pick b.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1296 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352