a
t
i
r
ppcehbrown ppcehbrown
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
1. A farmer planted some bean seeds. When the seeds germinated, 212 of the seedlings were albino, a recessive trait, and 2,790 were green. Determine the proportion of the seedlings that you would expect to be homozygous for the production of chlorophyll. Express your answer as a decimal.

2. A farmer planted some bean seeds. When the seeds germinated, 201 of the seedlings were albino, a recessive trait, and 2,660 were green. Determine the number of seedlings that you would expect to be carriers of the albino allele.
Read 996 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Hello, here is a similar question which I hope you can use to model an answer for your current question. Keep in mind though that if you still need a solution for these numbers, let me know:

A Farmer planted some bean seeds, When the seeds germinated, 192 of the seedlings were albino, a recessive trait, and 2880 were green.

A) Determine the proportion of the seedlings that you would expect to be homozygous for the production of chlorophyll. Express your answer as a decimal!

B) Determine the number of seedlings that you would expect to be carriers of the albino allele.

Answer:

A. q^2 = 192/(2880+192) = 192/3072 = 0.0625
q = square root (0.0625) = 0.25
p = 1-q = 0.75

p^2 = proportion of homozygous dominants = 0.5625

B. proportion of heterozygotes = 2pq = 2(0.75)(0.25) = 0.375
ppcehbrown Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Thank you so much bio_man Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Thank you so much bio_man Slight Smile

My pleasure.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1393 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274