a
t
i
r
smithcherry smithcherry
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I'm interested in becoming a petroleum geologist, but I was just wondering how they use higher level math in their daily jobs.
I have been researching well log data analysis, and I noticed that most of the equations used to break down or to determine accuracy of well log data is mostly in the form of algebraic equations. Are most of these equations derived using calculus?
And do you have any examples of how petroleum geologists use higher level math such as calculus?
Thanks.
Read 1336 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I have forgotten just about all of my advanced calculus.  I don't use those equations in everyday situations.  Computers do the computations.  Maybe there are some geos that do but I don't.
wrote...
11 years ago
If you are analyzing flow beneath the surface, you will need to apply Darcy's Law using the groundwater flow equation which is calculus based.  Computer models use linear approximations to solve these types of values.  I doubt you would ever use calculus as a well logger though.  To answer your question about most of these equations derived using calculus, they're all derived using calculus.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1289 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4