e
s
s
e
tomatothefly tomatothefly
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I'm trying to figure out the charge of the products as well. I'm guessing the charge of (Ag) would be positive 1, but i'm not sure what the charge of (N) would be being combined with (O). Could anyone explain this in some detail to me so that I would be able to determine how I would write the products out before doing any balancing in the equation?
Read 978 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Ag is a +1 charge but the NO3 is something called nitrate, which is a polyatomic ion that is a 1- charge.
wrote...
12 years ago
the H ion is gonna be positive and the Cl ion is gonna be negitive and if the Ag ion is gonna be positive than that means NO3 is gonna be negitive so its gonna look like HNO3 + AgCl
wrote...
12 years ago
HCL + AgNO3 = HNO3 + AgCL

If I'm correct the charge on polyatomic NO3 is a -1, and if you said Ag is a 1+ then really I dont see the need for balancing.
wrote...
12 years ago
First identify what is the metal in the ionic compound.  In this case it's Silver (Ag)...  you can look up the charge on Ag and you will find that it's +1.

Knowing that it's +1 and knowing that overall the AgNO3 compound should be neutral means that:

+1 + the charge on the NO3 = 0

Hence, the charge on NO3 = -1

Now, the NO3 has a charge of -1 and we know that Oxygen (O) is -2 normally, whereas Nitrogen can sometimes vary in number

So, with O3 that means 3 atoms of O each with -2 charge Rightwards Arrow -8 charge which the Nitrogen much balance with to make an overall NO3 molecule charge of -1

Thus, N + -8 = -1 and so we know that N = -1 + 8 = +7

Make sense?

As far as the reaction goes: HCl + AgNO3 = HNO3 + AgCl
where H is +1, Cl is -1, Ag is +1 and NO3 is -1
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  911 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 559

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?