s
a
t
i
r
r
wrote...
8 years ago
I'm not sure that u could increase the amount of ATP that much ,you know. Bcs ATP comes from glucose , and the amount of glucose which body doesn't need is stored, or somehow. There is one way to increase the amount of PRODUCING it , I think: with doing high energy needed exersises, bcs when cells need more energy they PRODUCE, and then use more ATP . no matter what u eat.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I just attend a seminar about Alpha-Lipoic acid, and would like to know on how this acid increase ATP.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
That's a fatty acid, correct?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
That's a fatty acid, correct?

Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA) is a mitochondrial fatty acid that is highly involved in energy metabolism
Ref : https://examine.com/supplements/alpha-lipoic-acid/

Any suggestions?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Does anyone find any related material on how this acid relate to ATP levels?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I just attend a seminar about Alpha-Lipoic acid, and would like to know on how this acid increase ATP.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

According to one source, it states that Lipoic acid increases ATPase's activity, which is the enzyme that drives the synthesis of ATP from ADP in mitochondria.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15247042
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I find more video on Alpha Lipoic Acid
Do you have any more suggestions?

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
After conducting further research, I have found the alpha-lipoic acid is a thiol antioxidant compound that has direct free- radical scavenging properties, and has been shown to benefit vascular and endothelial function.

There you have it, it's an antioxidant after all
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
After conducting further research, I have found the alpha-lipoic acid is a thiol antioxidant compound that has direct free- radical scavenging properties, and has been shown to benefit vascular and endothelial function.

There you have it, it's an antioxidant after all

From seminar, I heard that this acid acts like a force to pull glucose into ATP cells, which helps to charge ATP cells faster.

Do you find anything related information to how alpha-lipoic acid effects on ATP process?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
From seminar, I heard that this acid acts like a force to pull glucose into ATP cells, which helps to charge ATP cells faster.

Not sure how that works, glucose requires a protein to pass into the cell. Glucose transporters to be exact. Usually what activates these receptors is the works of insulin. A generalized statement like that doesn't provide much value
wrote...
Staff Member
8 years ago
Definitely it is an antioxidant. Researchers believe Alpha-lipoic acid helps improve insulin sensitivity, that's why it is used by diabetics, like type 2 sufferers.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, oem7110
Definitely it is an antioxidant. Researchers believe Alpha-lipoic acid helps improve insulin sensitivity, that's why it is used by diabetics, like type 2 sufferers.

Referring to following videos about Diabetes, Alpha-lipoic acid is an antioxidant made by the body, if Alpha-lipoic acid helps to increases Na+K+ATPase activity, then it would helps turn more glucose into energy and lower blood sugar levels on solving diabetics' issue. I would like to know more on how Alpha-lipoic acid helps to increases Na+K+ATPase activity in cell levels.

Do you have any suggestions?

Post Merge: 8 years ago

Referring to following image, when you mention that Alpha-lipoic acid helps improve insulin sensitivity, could you please describe more on which following process is related to insulin sensitivity improvement?

Normal Regulation of Blood Glucose
  • High Blood Glucose
    Insulin Released by Beta Cells of Pancreas
    Fat Cells Take in Glucose from Blood
    Achieve Bormal Blood Glucose Levels

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Referring to following image, when you mention that Alpha-lipoic acid helps improve insulin sensitivity, could you please describe more on which following process is related to insulin sensitivity improvement?

Insulin works by binding to a receptor on the outside of a cell and subsequently initiating a series of reactions inside the cell. The final step of these reactions is to activate glucose transporters, which are proteins that bring in sugar.

According to a study published in 2005, researchers discovered that alpha-lipoic acid increases insulin sensitivity by activating AMPK in skeletal muscle (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15913551). Thanks for the reference, duddy

Tell me what you think...
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago

According to one source, it states that Lipoic acid increases ATPase's activity, which is the enzyme that drives the synthesis of ATP from ADP in mitochondria. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15247042

Referring to following video, I would like to know on how difference is between Q10 and Lipoic acid help to increase ATPase's activity.

0:58
Q10 is a conenzyme that works as a powerful antioxidant and plays a fundamental role in the energy process within the body

4:41
Q10 transfers protons outside the inner mitochondrial membrane, creating a proton gradiant across that membrane.  The energy released when the protons flow back into the mitochondrial interior is used to form ATP

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1213 People Browsing
 125 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4