f
a
d
c
robjenkens robjenkens
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
but are you saying No Cure for Hepatitis B?
Read 429 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Hepatitis B is a virus. In this case the virus never goes away. The treatment takes care of the symptoms and as long as your immune system is working you will be fine. Recurrence of the virus is usually when a person's immune system is compromised like when people are on chemotherapy. Turning the immune system down means infections can easily attack and since the virus is still in you it can attack again.
wrote...
11 years ago
I suspect you have been diagnosed as a carrier of Hepatitis B. This means you have the virus in your blood and liver, but you are not sick.

When you first contract (catch) Hepatitis B, it has a chance to make you unwell. This is called acute hepatitis. You can become nauseated, yellow (jaundiced) and you can be very sick with this condition.

There is no medical cure for Hepatitis B. Some people's immune system can clear the infection (ie body cures by itself) but this is unusual once you are a carrier. Hepatitis B is very infectious (easy for someone to catch) so you have to be careful your blood does not get into someone else or they could catch it.
People who have close contact with you can be immunised, which protects them from infection.

If you have ongoing infection, this may cause liver scarring (cirrhosis). This is Chronic Hepatitis B. There is also a small risk of liver cancer.

It is important to look after you liver, which means no poisons esp. alcohol. The liver stores many vitamins, and your doctor has given you a vitamin tablet to keep the levels high.
wrote...
11 years ago
In the orient, where hepatitis B is widespread, and usually caught at a young age, the liver is adapted to it and does not get the inflammation and early death from liver cancer common in Western countries. This is because the virus when caught in adulthood makes the infected liver cells look like a target to attack.

I would minimize liver toxic substances in my diet, like alcohol and tylenol (acetaminophen). I would also avoid taking in too many calories, especiallyf from sugars and fat. Also consider getting immunized to Hepatitis A.  In general if something is hard on the liver, avoid or minimize it. This includes breathing in chemical vapors like from new carpets, cleaning agents, ect, ect.

You need to find out how and who gave this to you and make efforts to get them to stop spreading it around.

You might want to poke around the Merck Manual, for both the accute and chronic hepatitis.

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec03/ch027/ch027b.html#sec03-ch027-ch027b-412
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  601 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 432